Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PUMKINS?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:02 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 201 Total Views

Hi, first time post so forgive me if i dont make much sence.

I live in the UK, anf i have a pumkin plant which exploded in growth and had several pumkins growing.....they get to a certain size and just go bad....any advice on how to grow, what should i lay the pumkins on when they are growing??

thanks for any help

sam

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
ColoPhotoChic
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I've got pumpkins too, but mine are not going bad. I wonder if you've got a bug or slug that's eating something and destroying them? You can spread broken eggshells to rid the slugs. One pumpkin seed planted can result in what you have expereinced in a true explosion. Several pumpkins will grow from one vine. The vines will grab onto anything they can to promote their growth. 

I've noticed that after recent hailstorms, the stems were broken with gaping holes. Bugs like to crawl inside those stems. I don't know if they do any damage inside or not. ??

I also know that when the first frost comes, the vines will drop thus exposing the pumpkins. They are ready to go by then. I don't think you'll do much damage by picking them after they've turned orange. The only reason to wait is so they grow in size. (Imagine being pregnant. The baby can be born early, but if it can wait, it will grow in size.) I've got several orange pumpkins and a handful of white ones. I've also got a crazy batch of gourds.

Good luck!

Rebecca Axtman

The hand of God will not take you where the grace of God cannot keep you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)