Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know anything about taking someone off a lease

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:54 AM
  • 12 Replies

So, long story short.  I am basically going to be kicking my husband out because he cheated on me and then gave me at least one std.  So, obviously I'm trying to get a job along with doing childcare during the day.  So, my question is.  When you take someone off the lease do they have to do another credit check.  I figure that they would have to know that you can still pay the rent but do they do another credit check.  The only reason I ask is because we recently(before I found out he was cheating on me and ect) we tried to get into a new place but he's screwed up our credit, so I'm worried that I would have a problem even being able to stay here, even if I can pay the rent and utilities.  I can't just keep him on the lease because I recieve fs and medical(no bashing because I only do childcare,but I am getting another job along with doing childcare during the day) and I know that they need proof from your landlord of who lives at the place.  Plus of course I won't want him to be on the lease anymore because he won't be living here much longer.  As soon as the van gets fixed or I get a rental car and he gets his car fixed.  He was driving my van and some drunk hit him(he's fine and no kids were with him) but my van isn't driveable right now.

kimi kyle cs siggy
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
So_Devious20
by Be.the.change.♥ on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:59 AM

IDK. It honestly depends on the landlord. When I moved out and left my friend my landlord told me she would NOT take me off the lease. Because if my friend did not pay she would be calling me. I told her good luck because I wasn't paying for shit in a house I lived in for not even 2 weeks. HA.

kimikylemama
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM

bump

kimi kyle cs siggy
StarLightMaddie
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Most states make you file with the courts which take 30 days to evict someone.Even the LandLord would normally have to go through that process of kicking someone out.

But every state has different laws, my husband is a cop for Florida.You can't kick someone out just because you want to which ever they did to you, you have to go through the eviction process.

Plus here if they break in theres nothing you could do cause they lived there, they have rights to.As to you kicking him out call your sheriffs department first and have your ducks in a row.

I'm sorry this happen to you and good luck in whatever you decide.

kimikylemama
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:32 PM

He's willing to leave with out a fight.  I don't have to worry about evicting him.  I just need to know about when I take him off the lease does the apt complex's company have to do a credit check again or do they just take him off the lease.

Quoting StarLightMaddie:

Most states make you file with the courts which take 30 days to evict someone.Even the LandLord would normally have to go through that process of kicking someone out.

But every state has different laws, my husband is a cop for Florida.You can't kick someone out just because you want to which ever they did to you, you have to go through the eviction process.

Plus here if they break in theres nothing you could do cause they lived there, they have rights to.As to you kicking him out call your sheriffs department first and have your ducks in a row.

StarLightMaddie
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I don't know every place is different where you rent just call them up and ask them.But if he's willing to leave why does anyone have to know that.

As long as the rent is being paid why should it matter.Why take him off the lease if you think there going to run your credit and you don't want it ran don't say he will be leaving they don't need to know.

When you call and ask just don't give your name and say you needed a couple questions answered.

boyx3
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Generally speaking, if you are in a professionally managed complex you will have to go through the qualifying process again if you want to remove someone from the lease.  You will have to prove that your credit an income is sufficient to pay the rent yourself.

Quoting kimikylemama:

He's willing to leave with out a fight.  I don't have to worry about evicting him.  I just need to know about when I take him off the lease does the apt complex's company have to do a credit check again or do they just take him off the lease.

Quoting StarLightMaddie:

boyx3
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

This is true, you don't have to remove him.  This makes him still responsible for the lease as well. However it gives him all of the rights to the lease. Which means he can have a key and come and go as he pleases.

Quoting StarLightMaddie:

I don't know every place is different where you rent just call them up and ask them.But if he's willing to leave why does anyone have to know that.

As long as the rent is being paid why should it matter.Why take him off the lease if you think there going to run your credit and you don't want it ran don't say he will be leaving they don't need to know.

When you call and ask just don't give your name and say you needed a couple questions answered.

kimikylemama
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I will probably just keep him on until my credit improves.  I will be taking keeping his key.  I can't see him going to the front office to get another copy because he wouldn't do that.  Maybe I could have someone else call the office and ask about if they run a credit check when someone is taken off of the lease that way she(the office person) doesn't know its me because she might recognize my voice.

Quoting boyx3:

This is true, you don't have to remove him.  This makes him still responsible for the lease as well. However it gives him all of the rights to the lease. Which means he can have a key and come and go as he pleases.

Quoting StarLightMaddie:

kimi kyle cs siggy
4monkees
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:54 PM

I used to work in an apartment complex's office and we wouldn't have ran another credit check.. But every office is different.  Call you landlord and tell them he is leaving and you wnt him off the lease, but you are going to stay.  I think if you are already in and paying on time, they will not have aproblem with it.  You will both have to sign him off tho.

Im sorry you have to go thru this.  GL 

listening to tunesamerican footballplaying soccerskateboarding

kimikylemama
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Ok thanks.  I will ask.  I just don't want to be stuck and have no where to live if you know what I mean.  I obviously have to wait until I find a fulltime job where I can pay the rent with my income plus his child support that he will have to pay.

Quoting 4monkees:

I used to work in an apartment complex's office and we wouldn't have ran another credit check.. But every office is different.  Call you landlord and tell them he is leaving and you wnt him off the lease, but you are going to stay.  I think if you are already in and paying on time, they will not have aproblem with it.  You will both have to sign him off tho.

Im sorry you have to go thru this.  GL 

kimi kyle cs siggy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)