Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I make her feel better? UPDATE

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:34 AM
  • 9 Replies

My DD is 2.5 yrs old. She has had a REALLY bad cough for almost 3 weeks. I have takin her to the dr and he said that it's just a common cold and will go away after a week...he has said that 3 times now and its not getting better its getting worse. She just started coughing up clear mucus stuff. Any ideas on how I might be albe to help her? Shes so miserable!

So I got her into the doctors, they ran blood test finally and my poor baby has pneumonia (sp?) She is on a nebulizer 4 times a day. Thanks for the advice!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BuggersMom05
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:37 AM

I know that you are not suppose to anymore...but I always gave my daughte cough medicine if it was a really really bad one.

If you want something a little more safe....maybe try having her take a bite of honey.  Cough drops usually have honey in the middle to help sooth your throat...so I would assume that having her take a bite of it (instead of having her suck on a cough drop) would help just the same way. 

Good Luck.  Hope she feels better soon.  Also, maybe take her to a different doctor if possible.  Maybe a stat / urgent care...and just explain that she has had it for 3 weeks and it's getting worse and the doctor won't help. 

lizmarie1975
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM

I usually just rub Vicks on my kids' chests and feet.

sara_3388
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:43 AM

I never thought of the honey, thats what their other doctor told me to give the older ones last year when they were sick.. I jsut made yet another appointment with her dr but if they don't help her this time i will take her to urgent care. She just develuped a temp of 101.7 that she didn't have earlier this morning.

Quoting BuggersMom05:

I know that you are not suppose to anymore...but I always gave my daughte cough medicine if it was a really really bad one.

If you want something a little more safe....maybe try having her take a bite of honey.  Cough drops usually have honey in the middle to help sooth your throat...so I would assume that having her take a bite of it (instead of having her suck on a cough drop) would help just the same way. 

Good Luck.  Hope she feels better soon.  Also, maybe take her to a different doctor if possible.  Maybe a stat / urgent care...and just explain that she has had it for 3 weeks and it's getting worse and the doctor won't help. 

nurbabe82
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM

what i do to try and help my son who is 3 is give him cough medicine. i found some cough medicine for kids starting at age 2, rub a little vicks on him, and prop him up 2 pillows at night. this seems to help him at night anyway. good luck i know she is miserable. 

imechard
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM

You can use baby Vicks. Use a humidifier. If her throat hurts you can give her some motrin or tylenol. We have a decongestant for our kids that the dr prescribed and a cough suppressant. If you are not getting anywhere with her regular dr. take her to the ER or some urgent care place.

If coughing is the only thing she has it might just be seasonal allergies, and you can buy over the counter zyrtec for kids for her, but I am not sure on the dosage, becaues our dr. prescribes it for us. Especially since it has been three weeks and the mucus is still clear, I would think it is allergies. Urgent care would be able to tell you the dosage when you bring her there or her dr would be able to tell you over the phone

MAMAFalconX4
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:48 AM

They make suckers that your daughter should be able to use.  You can usually find them at wal-mart. They help sooth sore throats.

nurbabe82
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Quoting imechard:

You can use baby Vicks. Use a humidifier. If her throat hurts you can give her some motrin or tylenol. We have a decongestant for our kids that the dr prescribed and a cough suppressant. If you are not getting anywhere with her regular dr. take her to the ER or some urgent care place.

If coughing is the only thing she has it might just be seasonal allergies, and you can buy over the counter zyrtec for kids for her, but I am not sure on the dosage, becaues our dr. prescribes it for us. Especially since it has been three weeks and the mucus is still clear, I would think it is allergies. Urgent care would be able to tell you the dosage when you bring her there or her dr would be able to tell you over the phone

the dosage for kids otc zyrtec is 2.5ml. i have give it to ds everyday.

sara_3388
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM

If it's clear then it's not bad?  Her doctor told me that if it is clear then there is an infection. Now I'm confused. I just changed doctors b/c the pedi she did have thought it was ok to spank my kid. So we started the ONLY other childrens doctor here that excepts medicaid and I can't understand a word he says! Is there anything other then vicks i can use? She has really sensitive skin and vicks causes her to have a bad rash.

Quoting imechard:

sara_3388
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)