Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do athiests and agnostics have a right to celebrate christmas?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:40 AM
  • 156 Replies

since we are on the topic, do u think its hypocritical? i was raised as a christian, but i would say im currently agnostic, but leaning towards atheism. by the way i do believe the man known as jesus existed, just dont believe he was the son of god, but anyhoo, is it wrong for me to celebrate xmas, by the way i do it in a "pagan" way, gifts and tree, no church.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Anyone has the right to celebrate Christmas if they want to.  I don't think it is hypocritical at all.

MikeysMom51108
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I don't think it's wrong. I'm Jewish and I celebrate Christmas (I didn't grow up Jewish, so I celebrated Christmas my whole life). For us, it's more of a "family" holiday than a "religious" holiday.

lovemymarine306
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM

no!  christmas may be a religious holdiay, but it didn't really start out that way.  plus, now its a cultural celebration more than anything else at this point.  just like easter and halloween

Brandyh
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:42 AM

you mean Christmas is about god???? hahahahah just joking...these days there is no religion in Christmas from what I can see...its all about the "gimmy's"....gimmy this gimmy that...I want I want I want.......kids go to sit on Santa's lap not Jesus's 

AUTHORofFICTION
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Considering that "Christmas" was originally a pagan holiday, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong), then I don't think it's hypocritical. People are free to celebrate any way they chose on any holiday.

I WRITE BECAUSE IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO LEGALLY KILL SOMEONE.       

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Quoting Thelmama:

Anyone has the right to celebrate Christmas if they want to.  I don't think it is hypocritical at all.

prego7386

i think of Christmas as the pagan holiday that most of the things were taken from anyway so no i don't associate it with christianity.....we use it as a way to give gifts eat lots of food make things look pretty and enjoy being with family.

retsillacam

anyone can celebrate Christmas.

ariannasmom114
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:44 AM

ur so right its really not a religious holiday anymore those days are long gone

Quoting Brandyh:

you mean Christmas is about god???? hahahahah just joking...these days there is no religion in Christmas from what I can see...its all about the "gimmy's"....gimmy this gimmy that...I want I want I want.......kids go to sit on Santa's lap not Jesus's 

2boys_1girl
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Sure. I mean I am a Christian, but for my kids Santa is the focus... Jesus is secondary.

That is because I think the "magic" of Christmas is so cool for kids... they have the rest of their lives to get the serious message of Christmas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)