Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

While we are on the subject of holidays - does anyone else find this odd?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM
  • 18 Replies

We are not allowed to celebrate Halloween at our local school.  We celebrate " Fall Fest " but there is no costumes etc allowed.  I understand that is because some religions choose not to celebrate Halloween and that is fine.  What I do find odd is that at Christmas they are allowed to have a Christmas concert and they actually sang Silent Night last year.  Now don't get me wrong I love the song and I love Christmas even more....my question is why is celebrating Christmas allowed - not everyone is Christian  ( although I live in a pretty small community where most are Christian but not everyone )

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Because there are crazy people who believe that Halloween is worshiping Satan or something evil.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

an-angles-mom
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:25 PM

there are a lot of places that dont do this at Christmas time.. so you are one of the few that stills let Christmas be Christmas

mammapickle
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:27 PM

because some people are just backwards.

LA8YBUG
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:28 PM

My kids school can only have a "Winter concert"! and they have a "winter break".

gypsydancer7
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I think its sad that just bc a select few dont celebrate Halloween...every child loses out in the fun everyone cherishes from childhood.

I dont know about other places but I know our school system only celebrated the last hours of the day...we changed into costumes then. Let the people who oppose their children participating go home instead of ruining it for everyone

As for Christmas...I dont mind. Im atheist, celebrate xmas,  and couldnt care if my child sang holy night or whatever.  Sooner or later though....they wont be allowed to say xmas or halloween----it will be  an automatic week suspension for uttering the words. Im so sick of extremists of all sorts

Septpreggo
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:30 PM

that is wierd that they allow one holiday not the other, the world is going insane, we are trying so hard not to offend anyone, thet we probably end up offending more people in the long run

ImHisMommy
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:32 PM

We used to have a "Christmas Celebration" in our town that the schools would put on for the public which has now become the "Seasonal Celebration" because of some one's beliefs.  Songs like Silent Night are allowed but they now also have do songs or dances from other religions and their holidays.  I am not Christian but I still find it extremely annoying that our town was forced to change the name because one person didn't agree.  If you are that offended then stay away, don't go, don't change something that has been the same way for years!!  Make your own "celebration." 
My mom didn't not allow my sister and I to celebrate Halloween but instead of going to the school and complaining about the school celebrating she just simply didn't send us to school that day.  That is how it should be in my opinion. 

Double.L
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Because enough people bitched and moaned about Halloween but not Christmas yet. 

He's my star....and I'm his sky....

BrandonsMom1000
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:33 PM

My son's school can only say "Happy Holidays"  not "Merry Christmas".

armendariz
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:34 PM

To get around the Halloween idea and still let the kids dress up, at our kids old school, they were allowed to dress up like thier favorite character from a book.  If they brought the book with them they were allowed to participate in the costume contest.  Maybe you can bring up this idea at the next PTA meeting.

I agree that it's strange that Christmas is acceptable and Halloween isn't.  When I was a kid we spent some time going over different Christmas time beliefs and kids were allowed to talk and share their family traditions. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)