Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To the SAHM'S......

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM
  • 17 Replies

Obviously im sure most of you have husbands, but i was wondering do you have alot of money saved in the bank also?

The reason im asking, is because i really want to be a SAHM. I'm single though but i have a good amount of money in the bank, A little more then 2 years salary. Im just worried about how fast i would go through that money though, I been saving it for over 5 years.

I just feel like me and my son are so much happier when im home, and not having to wake him up at 4 am to take him to a babysitter, he's usually cranky all week and wont sleep etc.Due to interupting his sleep. Shes the only person i have to watch him. Im on vacation now, and everything is just going so smooth. I actually have time to do stuff and i dont feel exhausted all day, like i do when i work.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Je_Jette_Poo
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Yes. We do have alot saved up.

I enjoyed being a SAHM for like the first month. Now, I really want to go back to work.

lenoxclan
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:06 PM

We had about 4k saved but have used it all between moving here and extra bills from moving. We don't have the extra money to save anymore right now BUT we aren't struggling either. We have paychecks that just cover bills and food and then we have ones that leave spending money.

When we get our 1yr raise next summer then we will be able to start putting up savings again.:0)

toopicky429
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I kept my job, but I only have to work 2 shifts a month. My kids are so much better when I am home, so we do without a lot of wants. We do not have a lot in savings because as soon as my husband and I decided for me to be a SAHM, he got laid off. He started his own business in June, and we have enough money to pay for our needs. Good luck! Maybe if you work full time you could try working less, but be careful since you are a single mom.

alwaysyoung
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I am a sham, my husband works 40 plus a week to support us and we had some emergency thing happen so not a lot in the savings at the moment. Can you cut your hours down to part time. I worked full time for two years I know where you are coming from.

imechard
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:08 PM

We do not have a lot in savings, but I have some stuff that can be cashed in if we need it. We are in no position to save much money

single_and_preg
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Oh, This is the first vacation i had since my son was born. I been looking forward to it all year lol. I would probably get that feeling you have also because i'm so used to working, I been working full-time since i was 17 without a break except when i was pregnant, and vacations. Im now 27 and feel exhausted all the time.

Quoting Je_Jette_Poo:

Yes. We do have alot saved up.

I enjoyed being a SAHM for like the first month. Now, I really want to go back to work.

AlinaAndPhoenix
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM

If you are single, I would think about it carefully. My friend was single and had a good amount saved up in her savings. In a year she was so broke, she lost her apartment and everything. We don't have alot saved up, but I also do freelance work on the side to help with bills and things for the kids. If there is something you can do from home part-time on the side to make sure you don't use all your savings, then try that. I just wouldn't recommend it after seeing how hard it was for my friend. She is now working, but had to move out of state in order to find a job and be able to afford things.

01.Amey.07
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM

We did. But back in March Dh lost his job and we had to use our savings to pay our bills. He was out of work for 4 mths, so our savings acct took a really hard hit. Now he is back at work and I am babysitting at home for money, so we are trying to build it back up. 

IMO, I would not rely on my savings as my income. Savings should be saved and used for emergency only. 

Could you find a sitter to come to your home, so you don't have to wake him up that early? 

lvnmylif
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM

We do have some saved up.  It's not alot but that's because we have used our savings in the last few years to get a few things done.  We put 14,000 down on our mini van.  We also paid for a lawyer to take my dead beat ex back to family court.  At the same time we gave my sister the money for her lawyer so her soon to be ex couldn't take her daughter.  So we had much more money in there before but we have used the money for things we really couldn't avoid.  We will have our savings back up by the middle of next year.  If you live below your means the savings wont be a problem.  If you can't afford to be a SAHM without using the savings to maintain your life style you really need to reconsider. 

kenziejosmommy
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Not anymore! We had a TON of car problems (including me wrecking it) and went through all the money we had saved. The little bit that was left was used this past week when I was in the hospital all freakin week! But we got the tax refund from buying a new house, so back taxes are already paid and the rest we used to buy a new bed because I have back problems and hubby always feels tired, even when he gets enough sleep.

He's changing jobs this week (HOPEFULLY!) so we will be able to save up again, and we're gunna try and use that to go to Jamaica! (We were supposed to go w/his current boss but they pissed us off saying he took off to f*** off when I was in the hospital and had no ft care for both kids since I'm a SAHM!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)