Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Swine Flu... LOL Am I the only one...

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:03 PM
  • 27 Replies

Am I the only person that is not terrified of this....???

My son and I am sick... pretty sick indeed... runny noses, cough, sneezing, head aches and body aches, sore throat, ear ache.. sounds like the flu to me... So we've been on Tylenol, rest and orange juice all day... (my son ate tons of fruit for breakfast and some carrott sticks and cheese for lunch... I'm having a sandwhich)...

That's that.. we're taking care of it

My sister calls and I told her that we weren't feeling well... Well she is an STNA and she starts yelling at me that my son and I need to go to the hospital now because it could be the swine flu...

sure thing, I'm going to go sit in the ER for 4 hours, and prevent someone who has a real emergency from gettting seen because we have runny noses and we're both coughing...

No.. this is stupid. I understand that people, seemingly healthy people die from the Swine flu, BUT the seasonal flu causes more deaths every year than the swine flu has...

We did this last October, we spent a few days watching cartoons on the couch due to the flu...

I just found it comical that she started yelling at me...

(Oh she's also upset with me because my son is not getting the Swine flu vaccination, no matter what the doctors say.. I made that choice several weeks ago... )

So am I the only one that thinks that all this paranioa was caused by the media and that we as a country need to calm down about it...

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mushmom
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I'm sure you're not the only one.  I'm not with you though.  What?  17 kids died last week from it.  only 80 kids die year round from the seasonal flu.  So it's not the same, it's not not as bad, it's actually worse for children than the seasonal flu.  As a mom of a 20 month old, it freaks me out a bit.

AUTHORofFICTION
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Nope, you're not the only one.

I WRITE BECAUSE IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO LEGALLY KILL SOMEONE.       

shajdinyak
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I was concerned until my sis and her baby had it.  We called the dr cuz we were just on vaca with them and dr said it was the same as any other flu and not to do anything unless we had symptoms.

WifeyandMommy89
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:10 PM

My son is 21 monthd old and I will admit when I first heard about it, it scared the crap outta me, especially when a kid 20 miles from me contracted it... he made a full recovery though.. I personally think that the media is too involved in it and stories get twisted and changed, kinda like that childhood game Telephone.. where the teacher whispers something to a kid and it gets passed around the room and then it's something completely different by the time it makes it around the room...

I don't blame people for being freaked out about it, but I found it a bit comical that my sister yelled at me for not ruching to the ER..

Quoting mushmom:

I'm sure you're not the only one.  I'm not with you though.  What?  17 kids died last week from it.  only 80 kids die year round from the seasonal flu.  So it's not the same, it's not not as bad, it's actually worse for children than the seasonal flu.  As a mom of a 20 month old, it freaks me out a bit.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Im not worried about it. Not because its not worst than the other flu it does seem pretty bad, but there is nothing you can do about it so why worry. My children are breastfed, I feed them right, and I know how to watch for dehydration so we will be doing the same thing if we get ill. If I were pregnant, or I has sickly kids then maybe I would care more but as of  now we are good. We also wont get the vaccine, we have never had a flu vaccine, and I have had the flu/food poisoning once in my whole life so I think I am good.

LvnDeadGrl
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I'm not that concerned about it either. People keep bringing up the number of deaths so far. Are we forgetting that the REGULAR flu kills THOUSANDS of people in the United States alone in a single year?

mommyyokes
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I agree with you.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Also your good for not going to the ER you have a higher chance of catching in there. I had both my kids in the ER and I was disgusted. THere was a guy in there htat had a 103 temp and could barely stand. People wearing face masks, coughing I was freaked out being in there. I must have washed my kids hands a million times that night,.

Mommyto2kids09
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I'm not all that worried either

ashmac03
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I am not any more concerned about the swine flu than I am the seasonal flu. As long as your healthy you should be fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)