Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If my water broke... can I still continue without an induction? TMI btw.

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM
  • 9 Replies
I want a natural childbirth... and I definately don't want pitocin at all... But this morning I noticed my legs and crotch were a little wet... and not in a normal pregnancy discharge kind of way.. like in a wet kind of way. So as gross as this sounds, I tried to smell my panties to see if it was urine... and it wasn't. But there was like less than a quarter size amount... So I continue through the day, and I am pushing my kids out of wal-mart and I feel this tiny little spill of liquid... very liquidy, once again not like discharge.... Called the doc. I need to leave in about 20 minutes to go get checked and make sure I am not leaking amniotic fluid... So if I am. Does that automatically disqualify me from an induction free birth? I know there is an increased risk of infection, but how great is the risk?
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM

If your water breaks on its own then you won't need any type of "induction".  An induction is only done when the baby isn't coming on its own, or if there's a medical issue.  My water broke naturally, but I still had to have pitocin because her heartrate decelled and they wanted to try and get her out of me as fast as possible without a c-section.  As long as you're progressing nicely, then youl shouldn't have anything to worry about.  They may go in and really break your water if it's just leaking and not gushing out, and they use a little hook for that.

by Falling Starr on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Yes and no. You can try but after a certain point they will normally around 24hours try to induce you to lower the chance of an infection and if you get a fever they will induce the contractions. To lower the chance make sure they are not checking you too often.

Because i love my little girl  Because yes i am Bipolar

Trisomy 18 Has affected my life For my aunt

For my grampa (lung cancer) For my papa (liver cancer)

Pink and Blue because infants deserve to be remembered too

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:40 PM

well my water broke on its own and nothing was happening for 6 hours and they gave me pitocin,,,,you only have so long till your water is gone,,so depending on your situation will depend on the dont want to have a dry birth,,girl i know did and it was horrific

by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM

It will depend on your doctor. Technically you could still have a natural birth. Avoid vaginal exams, sex, and baths. Average OBs won't let you go more than 24 hours without inducing, but like I said, it really depends on YOUR OB/midwife.

Pregnancy Ticker

in lovetoddler girltoddler boyexpecting boy

Steve&Steph                Kayla             Brennan                 Baby Boy
   11/2004                  10/28/06            3/16/08              EDD 10/27/09

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Ask your doctor. Every hospital and every doc has their own views on what happens after your water breaks. But you should go in and get checked so they can keep an eye on you.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:47 PM

With my third, my water broke (the only one that actually did, freaked out lol).  When I got to the hospital I was at 4 cm.  No contractions whatsoever.  They hooked me up to the fetal monitor.  I was having small contractions according to it, but nothing regular, and nothing that I could really feel.  They checked me about an hour later, and I still wasn't contracting, so they did induce me.  Of course, I had been induced with my other two as well, so it's nothing new to me. 

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:51 PM
It depends on whether or not your labor starts. If your labor starts up naturally and progresses naturally and normally then you'll be fine to continue without an induction. Usually hospitals won't let you labor more than 24 hours after your water breaks.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:58 PM
my water broke with my daughter and i still ended up having to have pitocin. my contractions weren't close enough together or strong enough to make it through labor on my own, so it's a possibility. it is what it is, don't fight with your doctor, do what they say so nothing bad happens. sometimes things just don't happen they way we want them to! but good luck and i hope you have a happy, healthy baby, regardless of how he/she got here ;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)