Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? For those who pumped

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have to go back to work 2moro and I am trying to pump so that my husband can feed my baby well I only need to get enough for 2 feedings because I am only working for 4 hours any suggestions?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chandra034
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM

pumping never went very well for me, here's a bump!

Support "team Kayden" in a walk for the cure!

teal ribbon                                          toddler boy

mlg87ok
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I could never get anything but an ounce combined from both breast with a pump. But I hear for some pumping works great.

BUMP

Honii
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Make sure you're relaxed and drink plenty of water.  It may also help to pump one while baby is nursing on the other.   

deltacogirl
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Drink water like crazy, it will help with production.  Also, pump as soon as you stop breastfeeding.  You'll only get a little bit more, but every little bit helps, and it tricks your breasts into thinking that demand is up, so you'll get more over time.  If you are really struggling, some people say fenugreek helps.  I used it, and it seemed to.  You can usually find that at GNC.  Sneak in a couple extra pumping sessions where you can as well, just to get caught up so you have enough for when you are at work.  So if you baby is eating every 4 hours, pump every two, at least a couple times a day.  Its a lot of work, especially at first, but after you establish a good supply, you'll be able to drop some of those extra pumping sessions.  Also, make sure you are eating well, and that you have a good pump.  But water, water, water!

ETA:  I pumped exclusively for 6 months, so if you have any questions, shoot me a message.  I'd be happy to answer questions for you.

CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Awesome thanks!!!

Quoting deltacogirl:

Drink water like crazy, it will help with production.  Also, pump as soon as you stop breastfeeding.  You'll only get a little bit more, but every little bit helps, and it tricks your breasts into thinking that demand is up, so you'll get more over time.  If you are really struggling, some people say fenugreek helps.  I used it, and it seemed to.  You can usually find that at GNC.  Sneak in a couple extra pumping sessions where you can as well, just to get caught up so you have enough for when you are at work.  So if you baby is eating every 4 hours, pump every two, at least a couple times a day.  Its a lot of work, especially at first, but after you establish a good supply, you'll be able to drop some of those extra pumping sessions.  Also, make sure you are eating well, and that you have a good pump.  But water, water, water!

ETA:  I pumped exclusively for 6 months, so if you have any questions, shoot me a message.  I'd be happy to answer questions for you.

Sahm.I.am
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM

I used to pump on my 15 min morning break, half of lunch (another 15 mins) and my 15 min afternoon break getting about 4 oz.  I did that for about a month and then just pumped early in the morning and late at night.  I got tired of pumping in the bathroom, yes there was a mother's nursing area but it took me 5 mins to get there (in another of 3 buildings) and back which left me with 5 mins to try to pump and no I wasn't given any exceptions because I was a nursing mother, company policy.

Don't cha wish that you could stay home like me? Don't cha wish that you got paid weekly? DON'T CHA?

shannwa
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:30 PM

My little one wouldn't nurse without a nipple shield, which was destroying my supply, so we ended up exclusively pumping so that he would get breast milk.  It's not easy, but possible.  I agree with the OP who suggested you try to pump either while the baby is nursing or right before or after.  If your little one happens to be asleep when you would usually feed or if he skips a feeding, that would be a great time to try pumping.  If you're going to be pumping on a regular basis b/c of work, I strongly suggest you take the pump to work with you and pump when you would normally feed him.  It will keep the engorgement at bay as well as helping to keep your supply up.  Before you know it you will have more breast milk stored than you know what to do with.  It comes in handy at times, though.  

Halloween cats

planning a wedding

CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM

My shifts are only 4 hours and I work in the Drivers license department and its REALLY busy, plus I cover lunches so I can't really get away to pump. But if I feed him right before I go to work he will start getting hungry about 30 mins before I get home but I want extra because just in case.

I have tried giving him formula when we are in public because of personal reasons I don't like to NIP and he gets really pukey and can't hold much formula down but I got an electric pump and I do drink TONS of water but it seems I can't really get my supply up

NikiAnne
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Pump in the morning! After your baby has been nursing all day, your supply will be at its lowest point. So if you can pump earlier in the day, you should be able to get more. I was able to exclusivly bf for about 6 months with my first (still bf, but did solids, etc. after that.) I went back to work when he was about 6 weeks and I found that pumping on my breaks, when he would normally eat worked really well too. Good luck!

CoUrtNEyLeE
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Thank you ladies so much for all your help!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)