Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should i have been offended ??? kind a long

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:54 PM
  • 2 Replies

so today i went to the workforce service to talk to them about going back to school they offer a program called the WIA program where they pay for you go to school. i used this program once before along with a pell grant in "05/06". they called me about the program about  month ago when  a working experience program i was suppose to enter had been cancelled, at the time of the call i told them i had used the WIA program once before and i told them i was unsure if  i could use it again well anyway, they called me back a week later and schedule an appt for me to talk to the lady who does the WIA program.

well my appt was today so i went in and i was talking to her ( she really acted like she was trying to rush me out of the office) well anyways i told her that i haven't work since i finished school in 06 because i have been unable to find work, that i look and send in resume and so forth and i have had  a few interview but nobody has hired me and she asked me how am i supporting myself and i said well my husband work and she said OH so basically he's support you" i was offended by that, and i was like uh yea. but it offended me because of the way she said it, she made it sound like i was just some girl who had moved her and her children in with some man and letting him support her, he is my husband and the father of my children so yea he takes care of us and he has no problem with it. well another thing i got offended by was when i told her that i have been unable to find work she said " i find it hard to beliieve that since O6 you haven't been able to find work" She made it sound like i haven't been looking, which is bullshit because i have been looking i live in a little town and there just isn't anything around here. she said expecially in Sebring which i where i went to school and it was also where i was living when i used the WIA program, she said there are a lot of doctor office over there and i was like yea but i have lived here for the past 2 year.

well all in all she told me she would have to get with her superivisor and see if i can use the WIA program again, which i found odd because they knew i had used the program before THEY called me back to schedule my appt. and i thought  they had already found out before they schedule the appt. well i felt like she didn't even want to talk to me at all because she just was like she was trying to get me out of there. i asked her  about what classes they offered and she didn't even tell me she handed me this thing and said well  most of the stuff he cover in on that we don't cover all of them on there and there are afew that are not on there that we do cover and i was like well then this isn't helping me much. i mean she could tell me what they offer. she knows i want to work in the medical field so she could have told me what careers that they do cover in the medical field. i mention what about LPN and she was like yea but unless your tabes are a 12 you will not be selected for the program and so forth. she pretty much acted like i couldn't make into the LPN class, well my tabe are a little low but i can work on them i did last time and brought them up to a 12.

all in all she didn't help me much or anything. she didn't schedule me another appt to fill out paper work or anything and i had to ask her well when can i get back with you. once i decide what i want to do  and  you have time to speak to your supervisior and she said oh, sometime next week and that was it.

their job is to help you decide what you want to do, offer info and support and so forth and well she did nothing, and the appt was pointless, she didn' t have information to offer about the program because supposely the program has changed at least that is what i was told when they called me to schedule the appt, she didn't offer any info about what they do offer and what all the help with or anything.

in the end the appt was a disappointment and i was offend i actually felt like she did want to help me at all, i don't know if she felt like going to school was going to be a waste of there time or money or what but that how she made me feel and i think it all was because of me not working since i finished school. and that is the problem there, that is the reason why i have a problem finding a job because nobody can  understand why i haven't work since i finished school. oh yea and she said well if you are allow to enter the program again you will have to provide us with proof that you have been looking for a job. i told her well i am enter into the system here, i have fax in resumes here and i have look into your system here and i was trying to enter into the work experience program what more proof do you need.

i just had to get it off of my chest

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
dreamerinluv
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Why would you be offended....just bcuz she said your DH supports you? Well its true isnt it? Besides like you said your his wife and mother of his child so  if he wants you home while he provides for both of you i dont see the problem.

I would be more upset over the fact that they called you in and still didnt help out with your schooling....hope I dont come off as rude  =) 

confused-mom
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM

well i wasn't  offended by the comment if was they way she said it  that offended me, because she said it like i was just some girl who moved her children and herself in with some man  and just sit on her ass. and i was also offended by her acting like i haven't looked for a job because she she said she just couldn't believe  i haven't been able to find work and so forth. and i was upset that they didn't offer me any help when they are the ones who called me. there was so many thing with that appt that just didn't set right with me, they way she acted toward me, they way she talked  to me, the way she didn't offer me any infor or any help and they way she acted like she just didn't want to be talking to me. the appt was a complete disappointment. but anyways i am going back to school with or without their help, i would perfer their help because i could do it soon than later but either way i am going back to school.

i personally don't see my husband as supporting me, yea i am a sahm, and yea he is the one who bring home a paycheck buy in the end of the day i do just as much as he does, i am the one who takes care of the bills, the house, the kids ect.. i do everything except bring home a paycheck and the only thing he does is bring home a paycheck he doesn't have to do anything else so yea i guess in a way i was offended by the comment but i was more offended by how she said it and the other things but like i said it just wasn't that comment that offended me it was also the comment that she made pretty much saying i was lying about looking for work and i think that comment offended me more than the support me comment. the whole appt sounded kinda offensive and worthless if you ask me

Quoting dreamerinluv:

Why would you be offended....just bcuz she said your DH supports you? Well its true isnt it? Besides like you said your his wife and mother of his child so  if he wants you home while he provides for both of you i dont see the problem.

I would be more upset over the fact that they called you in and still didnt help out with your schooling....hope I dont come off as rude  =) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)