Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have relatives you are nice to but don't really like?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM
  • 2 Replies
So my DH's sister (actually half sister if you want to be technical) I don't really like at all. I could write a book with all the reasons, but I just don't care for her, her lifestyle, her husband, etc. We are stationed in the same state where she lives, but several hours away. We rarely see them (once or twice a year at the most). Before then we never saw them. My DH is military and he deployed about 3 months ago. Well before he left, we did invite them down for the 4th of July (her, the kids, and a few of her friends). Her husband had to work. That was fine. I was nice and really went out of my way to make the holiday special for my DH's sake. I cooked all this food and tried to make everyone welcome. DH knows how I feel about her and that side of his family but I keep most of my comments to myself. So she knew DH was deploying soon. Well he's been gone for 3 months. Not once does she even e-mail him or me or call me to see how he is or if he even left. Today I get a message from her on Facebook asking about him because she had no clue whether he had deployed or not. I don't care if she asks about me or my son, but seriously, she claims to care for her brother yet never bothers to call or ask about him? And DH is totally oblivious to this. He acts like there is nothing wrong with that. And he considers them to have a close relationship? I talk to my mom several times a week, my dad once a week, and my sister a few times a month. If I don't, they will be calling me to make sure I'm ok. My husband is deployed to a freakin' war zone, yet she is so into her own little world yet pretends to put on this face like she's so caring about her brother. Oh and DH's dad (who is her biological dad, but DH's adopted dad) never calls him, never asks about him, never asks about his grandson for that matter or has ever sent him a birthday card, yet DH still acts like his dad really gives a crap about him. His dad doesn't even know when DS's birthday is! DH was adopted at 2 by his step-dad and then his sister was born (so they have same mom, different dads). His mom is divorced from him (since DH was 7) and remarried. His mom's current husband has been more of a father to him than anyone. DH's adopted dad abadoned him at age 7 and was never in his life again until he was about 17. I wish DH would just cut all ties to them period. I can't wait to PCS and get waaay away from them. And part of my issue with them is that they smoke, drink, do drugs around their children and their house literally should be condemned. She's a SAHM and both kids are in school so she has no excuse not to clean. So that's one of the reasons I will not go visit them for my son's safety. Last time we were there I found my son with a large shard of glass he picked up from their yard that literally looks like a junkyard. I about had a panic attack because DS could have been seriously hurt. UGH...I wish DH could see it how I see it. They are nothing but a negative influence.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Just_Me_1326
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:34 PM

i so feel your pain.. but yes.. i do have family i'm nice to but hate... my god.. do i ever lol

jsp08
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 4:39 PM

My mother-in-law. I could also write a book about her. I think she is crazy. LiterallyWhen I was 3 months pregnant we told her we wanted to have a boy. She thought we were having a boy. After we told her 5 times that it was a girl she still brought boy stuff to my baby shower. I had a 3-D ultrasound. Well on our way I showed her the "business card" (which has ultrasound pictures on it) and she actually said aww its cute. does it look like the mom or dad. I said I dont know. And she replied oh this isnt ya'll baby is it!? I couldn't believe it. Then she came down one time. We were broke. Only had $40. $10 was for birth control $20 for diapers. Before she came down we asked her if she had the money cause we could not help her and she said she did. Well the day she left she drove 30 mins to get gas then calls us and says she needs$30 to pay for the gas she had already pumped! Yea shes crazy. Sorry. My way to vent. =]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)