Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the difference

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM
  • 16 Replies

Ok so I have been scanning some different posts and this question wasnt addressed. I was hoping some people could clear up this question I have. So you dont celebrate Halloween I get it for religious reasons or you think its pagan witchcraft ect. However many of moms say "we go to the church's celebration" or "fall harvest fest" things like this and they describe corn mazes pumpkins costumes and candy... This would constitute a celebration... So here is my question why is calling it a different name make the holiday not "pagan" not "witchcraft" or more "christian".  The holiday named Samhain which is the pagan holiday which predates halloween was the celebration of the turning of the wheel of the year also the veil between the living and the dead is the thinnest. Pagans take this time to communicate and honor the dead. Dia de los Muertos (celebration in mexico) is very close to both samhain and halloween they hnor the dead children get candy and they have a party in the cemetery and the priests are very important in the three days of celebration. If you go to your church and celebrate the fall or the harvest that is actually closer to the actual pagan holiday. I just find it interesting that if you celebrate at church its ok but trick or treating is some how darker.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prego7386
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM

i have no clue i have heard it's because no one is dressed up like"demons and death" but eh i dont roll like that for halloween so i cant tell you firsthand..here is a bump for you and i hope someone can answer you

lrj42685
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Quoting prego7386:

i have no clue i have heard it's because no one is dressed up like"demons and death" but eh i dont roll like that for halloween so i cant tell you firsthand..here is a bump for you and i hope someone can answer you

I have found that when you wade through the muck and the drama to ask a legit question especially when presented with facts to evaluate the question first I get very few responses

neenerashley
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:21 PM

I have no clue.

But Day of the Dead, Dia de los Muertos is a really cool thing to see!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

ethansmom309
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I couldnt agree more. My parents did the whole 'we have to go to church!' and when I asked then the same question I got 'because I said so'.  Call it whatever you want to but its all the same to me.

lrj42685
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:27 PM

And ya know on this posy none of these "halloween is evil" people have responded as to why its still ok to celebrate at church!!!!

Quoting ethansmom309:

I couldnt agree more. My parents did the whole 'we have to go to church!' and when I asked then the same question I got 'because I said so'.  Call it whatever you want to but its all the same to me.

nemiller
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:29 PM

the only thing i've ever thought about that was that churches try to find a way to keep kids from feeling like they're missing out.  have a "harvest festival" on halloween so they're still having fun and getting candy without going trick-or-treating, KWIM?  it doesn't make much difference to me, but i can see why churches would host these sorts of events.

lrj42685
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Oh ya I totally understand that I understand that these kids shouldnt be left out but the reason they would be left out in the first place was bc their parents felt the celebration was evil but the churches are celebrating in the same way so it doesnt make much sense

Quoting nemiller:

the only thing i've ever thought about that was that churches try to find a way to keep kids from feeling like they're missing out.  have a "harvest festival" on halloween so they're still having fun and getting candy without going trick-or-treating, KWIM?  it doesn't make much difference to me, but i can see why churches would host these sorts of events.

dusky_rose
by Sue on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I celebrate Halloween, but I know that some religious people prefer to celebrate All Saints Day instead, which is actually celebrated the day after Halloween and people dress up in costumes for religious characters (from the Bible) instead. I say whatever floats your boat. I view Halloween as all in fun.

Tazz2
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I'm not a "halloween is evil" person, but I can respect people who don't want their kids exposed to some of the costumes and decorations that are graphic, sexually and violently.  I see it the same as people who do not let their kids see movies with sex and violence in them, only G or disney movies. 

Quoting lrj42685:

And ya know on this posy none of these "halloween is evil" people have responded as to why its still ok to celebrate at church!!!!

Quoting ethansmom309:

WifeandMommy06
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:37 PM

OP I was wondering that too...

wedding ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)