Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carseat question for the ERFers...

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM
  • 6 Replies

DS is six months old and is still RF in his infant seat of course. I plan to ERF and harness for as long as possible. I have two questions!

One, when should I switch from the infant seat?  He still has a while before he reaches the limit of his current seat. Should I wait until then or find a convertible carseat soon?

ALSO, he is getting very heavy, especially in his carrier so I feel like I'm tossing him in the carseat base. How safe/unsafe is it to move him to the side behind the driver seat?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM

You can go ahead and get him a convertible if you prefer. He doesn't have to outgrow his infant carrier. I would honestly get a convertible, keep him in the middle RFing and slide in the car, and sit on the seat next to his as you buckle him in. 

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:34 PM

i switched my son to a convertible carseat after he was sitting up on his own.  he wouldn't lay back in the carseat because he wanted to sit up.

and i don't know how safe it would be to move him behind the driver's seat.  i wouldn't suggest it, if keeping him in the middle is an option.  what i did with my son when he started getting heavy was just set him on the seat next to the base, then leaned in and put the carseat on the base.  it takes an extra couple seconds and kept me from feeling like i was flinging him into the car.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Placing him behind the drive is safe as long as you can get a good install.  But it isn't as safe as being in the center, specially if your hit on the driver side, make sense?

As for his seat, if you have the money then buy a convertible now.  You don't have to wait until he outgrows his carrier.  Also you don't have to take the carrier out you can just leave it in the car and take your Son in and out.  My only recommendation is that if you really want to ERF do your research on seats and talk to techs about which ones really will last, both as far as weight/height goes and the harness height and experation dates.

If you still have car seat questions join this great group of car seat lovers:

I'm April, a 28 year old, tattoo loving, crazy hair dying, Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, CIO, occasional co-sleeping, non-circumcising, pro-life, selective and delayed vaxing, breastfeeding as long as possible, childbirth should be drug free, spanking as a last resort, winter hating, star gazing, Pisces, Techno, Hip-Hop and Country listening, baking and cooking, non smoking, occasional martini drinking, texting, can fix my own car, pink loving, surrounded by testosterone, happily married for 2 years, Mommy of 3 amazing boys, Mahe, 7, has Autism, Jaedin, 4, is Developmentally Delayed and Conrad, 3, is a typical child!

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Thank you for posting on the group!  We're glad you're here!

You may also want to post on  these CafeMom Groups:
Advice for Moms

Car Seat Safety 

We suggest joining and meeting other Moms in these Recommended Groups, too!

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

The search bar at the top of every page can be used to search for specific information.

We hope you're enjoying the site!

- The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:43 PM
Bumping so I can reply to this tomorrow

by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:14 PM

You can switch your son to a convertible when ever you are comfortable doing so.  If he still fits in his infant carrier then there is no reason to do so right away - if he is getting too heavy you can always just leave the infant carrier in the car and just get him out.

The middle is only marginally safer than the sides the safest position in the car is the position that you get the best install and are going to use correctly every time.

As far convertible goes there are a couple that I would stay well away from.  Anything that says three in one is not worth the money - they are difficult to install correctly - tend to be outgrown fairly quickly and make terrible boosters.  Also I would not look at the Graco comfort sport or the evenflo titan.

I would consider the First Years True Fit - it rear faces to 35lbs and then harness to 65lbs - it has a nice tall shell so most kids can comfortable rear face until 2 and half or three years old then the harness will see them through to booster age.  The really nice thing about this seat is that the harness doesn't need to be rethreaded to adjust it.

I would also look at the Graco myRide 65 - it rear faces to 40lbs and harnesses to 65lbs.  It has a slightly shorter shell than the true fit but should still get most kids rear facing until three comfortably and harnessed until close to 6 year old.

The highest rear facing seat on the market is the Radian XTSL or Radian 80 XTSL these both rear face to 45lbs and harness to 80lbs.  Again they should last most children until that are ready for a booster.  If you do decide on a Radian I would try and find a store that stocks them near you so you can try them in your car - they have to be at a 45 degree angle no matter how old the child is - and they can't tough the seat in front which means they don't fit in every car.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)