Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Simple CIO question?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:27 PM
  • 4 Replies

LOL i know, im getting annoying. Well, since saturday, we've been CIO with our 9 month old. Not what we wanted to do, but according to the DR, it HAD to be done.. So we have done it a total of...5x, since we're doing naps also. The first time ever it took an hour, then that night at bedtime it took 20 min.. And now we're done to under 10 min and he's out..

It seemed like each time he cried, he cried less, but now its pretty much the same length of time, about 10 min. Will he EVER just get put in the crib and immediately pass out? We have a pretty decent schedule going on, bathtime, then bottle, then crib. And we moved up the time he gets his bottle so he doesn't fall asleep with it. Or will he cry every single time, but not for long?

And does it HAVE to be at the same time for naps? Or is it ok with his nap time varying? He was still going to sleep faster, but with DH military and needing to be picked up/dropped off at various times ALL weekend, and errands needing to be run, its been impossible to get him in the crib at the same time.. Can naps vary?

TY you guys

proud 20 year old mommy to the love of my life Wyatt, born 01.08.09 and totally in love to my Marine Patrick since 01.10.08

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MikeysMom51108
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I can't guarantee he'll fall asleep immediately, but the crying should eventually subside.

We started CIO sometime around 12 months, I think. It was never bad with my son, usually, he didn't cry for more than 5 minutes before he was out. Now, sometimes he'll be awake for up to an hour after being laid down--but, he's not crying. He sits in his crib and "talks" to himself! He's 17 months, and he very rarely cries anymore when we put him to bed.

We don't do CIO for naps though. We don't even have a nap schedule. If he falls asleep, he falls asleep. If not, he doesn't get a nap that day. So, I can't answer that part of your question...

USMCBride08
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:06 PM

bump 

proud 20 year old mommy to the love of my life Wyatt, born 01.08.09 and totally in love to my Marine Patrick since 01.10.08

ShadowRaven
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Haha. It sounds like you're doing sleep training. For some reason I've read a lot of posts lately about moms doing the same thing with their 9 month olds. I think it's a new trend lol.

It will get better. I had to do the same thing when my ds was 9 months. It's all about him learning to self soothe. When we did it with ds, it was about a week...maybe a week and a half before he completely stopped crying when we laid him down (towards the end he was only crying for less than 5 mins). After that "trial period", he'd either go right to sleep or he'd babble for a few minutes before falling asleep.

As for naps, it's best to keep them at the same time everyday, at least in the beginning. I know it's a hassle to work your day around scheduled sleeping times, but it really is best. For things like your dh being picked up/dropped off, there's nothing you can do about that interfering with nap time. But errands, etc are usually flexible. Once you have his sleeping routine established, then it's ok to be a little more lenient with the times that he goes down at.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

Mommyof2n13
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Well with my 9 month old ds I dont have that problem. He has always gone down with no problem nap time or bed time. BUT my older 2 dd and ds were not the same. You have to let them learn how to self soothe and after they get the hang of it, it shouldnt be a problem verying in nap times. it might take a few weeks but just keep at it and remember be patient, and dont let him sit in there for an hour crying, you will know when its to much and they are crying for a different reason other than being mad or stubborn. GL momma.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickershttp://www.weddingcountdown.com">
wedding websites
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)