Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

car seat laws?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:44 PM
  • 5 Replies

how do i find the car seat laws for my state?

my oldest is currently in a highback booster thats also a 5 point harness.... well, he is almost 4 and outgrowing that  harness..... i want to find out if i can buy him a regular highback booster.....

as of may

treadmilljumping ropescrapbooking

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Auntiemom410
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Hi, I can tell you that no matter what state you live in, your son needs to stay in a 5pt harness. Most kids arent mature enough until the age of 6 to sit properly in a booster. My dd is 5 and is still harnessed. You can buy several seats that harness to 65lbs. My DD is in a Graco Nautilus, it will harness to 65lbs then booster to 100. I highly recommend it. I only paid $150 for it on Walmart.com but you could probably find it cheaper. Most states say its 4years/40lbs to be in a booster-BUT THAT IS A MINIMUM. You can find cheaper seats to harness past 40lbs, look into those before you put him in a booster.

imechard
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:07 PM

I just did a Google search, and typed in car seat laws and my state, it brought up all kids off simple info on my state on about.com.

http://babyproducts.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=babyproducts&cdn=parenting&tm=12&gps=207_10_1436_701&f=10&su=p948.1.230.ip_&tt=13&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.wvdot.com/6_motorists/safety/cps.htm%23New%2520CPS%2520Law

Apparently kids can be in boosters here when they are one, but need to use a harness until they are four

jrp0606
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:18 PM

4 years old AND 40lbs is the minimum recommendation for a booster - irrelevant of laws.

Children under 40lbs are at serious risk of submarining and seat belt sydrome.  We usually recommend children stay harnessed until closer to 6 because they have to be mature enough to leave the seat belt in place.

If you do decide to go the booster route here is a good link showing how the seatbelt should fit properly and giving recommendations on boosters.

http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/default.html

If you want some suggestions on seat that harness longer I can also give you a few - how big is your DS height and weight and what type of budget would you have.

jjohnsct
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:22 PM

You can Google Search the carseat laws for your state.

I think it's 4 and 40 lbs.

Today is my twins 6th birthday and the 1st day that they were in a booster seat. 

Good luck

I am a single teen mom now married and in my 30's, BF,FF Supplimenting,Non ERF, Vaxing,Circ-ing, Non CS,NON-CIO,SAHM turned WOH mom,Boo Boo Kissing,Kid spoiling,Public School Sending,PTO Joining,Bedtime Story Reading,Kid Cuddling,Homework Helping, Non spanking,Time out using,Neat Freak,Tattooed Soccer Mom to 3 great kids.

avi_nevaeh_mama
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 6:25 PM

It depends on your child. If he can sit properly in a booster with the seat belt (and is 40INCHES and40 lbs.-doesn't have to be four years old) then he can move to a seat belt. And yes there are four year olds that can sit properly in a seat belt. My autistic 3 1/2 year old sit perfectly in his HBB with the seat belt. (and before I'm bashed all to hell, we tried like crazy to keep him in a harness and no matter how tight the belts, no matter what seat we tried, he would get out of the harness and climb from the seat while we were moving. There was no reasoning with him since he is autistic and didn't understand. We talked to a friend who is a car seat tech and several friends who are police officers and they all agreed that it was safer for him to be in a seat belt sitting properly, then to be climbing out of his harness all the time). My 3 1/2 year old sits with the belt across his shoulders and across his lap (not his stomache) and more the clears the 40 inches, 40 lbs. He sits still in it and even when he falls asleep keeps his head back and doesn't slouch. So not all children need (or should) be harnessed until the age of 6 or older. Some kids are mature enough to sit properly in a seat even if they are only 4 (or in our case 3 1/2) years old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)