Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting rid of the smell?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

For any of you that have had to get rid of an obnoxious smell from a jacket/coat. How did you do it? My jackets smell like our wet basement.... that nasty musty smell. I've washed them 4 times, sprayed with febreze, soaked them in water with baking soda overnight, and sprayed it with Vanilla Lace, but it still smells musty. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ShadowRaven
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Try adding Borax, in addition to the laundry soap. And add 1 cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle. That usually works for me.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

ireland.runaway
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:26 PM
sounds like you've tried it all, all I've got is to suggest just buying new ones... ?

LA8YBUG
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:36 PM

"ODERS OUT"  you can get it at walgreens or in the laundry isle.  The stuff works great!

KokoJones
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM

yikes i dunno... i had the same issue with my husbands peacoat it smelled of his musty basement and cigarettes from his mother's nasty chain smoking habit..... i never could get the smell out and we junked it and got him a new one

CafeMom Tickers

Koko- navy wife-mommy of two- currently baking baby #3

Laura4807
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Sounds like it needs to be aired out for a couple of days.... washing and things like that won't help :-)

gypsydancer7
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Buy a new one??

Caedens_Mommy
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Drycleaners... When we had a fire in our house everything got sent to the dry cleaners and the smell was gone!

Alexandria

{{Proud military wife of Ryan}}

{{Mom to Caeden & Bonus mom to Paige}}

army toddler boytoddler girl

Lullababy
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Airing out and vinegar soak and wash rinse with more vinegar air out again.    Also bac out has helped too, gl.

3earthangels
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Thank you ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)