Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone gotten the swine flu shot (not mist)?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM
  • 10 Replies

Has anyone gotten the swine flu injection and were you able to get one without any thimerosal?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM

I have not but it is my understanding that they come in single dose vials.  Single doses do not have Thermasol like the multi-dose vials do.

                        

The way to help the world is to start with your own family. ~Mother Teresa

Julie132
by on Oct. 25, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Bump.  I guess the shot form is not widely here yet.

aniyabel
by on Oct. 25, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I live in VA and the shot will not be made available here until mid to late November, according to our health department.

AlyssaRob1416
by on Oct. 25, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I got the shot, but the single-dose vial wasn't available to me.

Julie132
by on Oct. 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM

That's too bad.  I wonder how hard it will be for people to get, especially babies and young children who really don't need 25 mcgs. of mercury (or more if the nurse doesn't shake the vial properly!)  In any case, boost your glutathione with Vit. C to help you detox.  :)

Quoting AlyssaRob1416:

I got the shot, but the single-dose vial wasn't available to me.


imechard
by on Oct. 25, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I go the single dose shot, that is what they gave pregnant women here. In our County they had only 800 vaccines available. I am not sure how many single dose syringes were available. I would have had my children get that, but both of them were sick, probably with H1N1

Julie132
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Good!  I hope it had ZERO thimerosal.  It's unconcionable to me that they would EVER give a pregnant woman a multi-dose, thimerosal sho

Quoting imechard:

I go the single dose shot, that is what they gave pregnant women here. In our County they had only 800 vaccines available. I am not sure how many single dose syringes were available. I would have had my children get that, but both of them were sick, probably with H1N1

 

Julie132
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 4:31 PM

UPDATE--even the singe-dose vials contain "trace" amounts of thimerosal

The Wall Street Journal - "Initially in late spring, government officials discussed ordering mostly multidose vials from Novartis, Andrin Oswald, head of the company's vaccine business, said in an interview. Its primary concern at that point was to get a lot of vaccine quickly, he said. But in September, as more consumers started expressing concerns about thimerosal, a mercury-containing preservative used in multidose vials, the government requested more single-dose syringes, which contain only trace amounts of thimerosal. Officials wanted half of the October deliveries to be packaged in prefilled syringes, he said."

If it has more that .3 mcgs/dose, it could have biological effects according to Johns Hopkins.

butterflyblu
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 4:56 PM

All I know is that out of the projected number of H1N1 vaccines being manufactured, 85% of them will contain thimerosal.   And assuming most of the other 15% will be the mist, that leaves no option for children under 2 and pregnant women.   I had an OB appointment 3 weeks ago and the doctor offered the seasonal flu shot.  I told him no way.  I wouldn't get it with or without thimerosal, but when I mentioned it, he never said "oh well have mercury free vaccines" so that led me to believe all they had were the ones containing mercury.  They are supposed to be getting the H1N1 now.  I still won't be getting either.  The doctor actually had the nerve to say that thimerosal is completely safe.  What an idiot.   Our state actually has a law that pregnant women and children under 3 must receive mercury free flu vaccines, but due to the H1N1 issue, the state has temporarily suspended that law which I find appalling. 


 


           

Julie132
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Me too!

Quoting butterflyblu:

All I know is that out of the projected number of H1N1 vaccines being manufactured, 85% of them will contain thimerosal.   And assuming most of the other 15% will be the mist, that leaves no option for children under 2 and pregnant women.   I had an OB appointment 3 weeks ago and the doctor offered the seasonal flu shot.  I told him no way.  I wouldn't get it with or without thimerosal, but when I mentioned it, he never said "oh well have mercury free vaccines" so that led me to believe all they had were the ones containing mercury.  They are supposed to be getting the H1N1 now.  I still won't be getting either.  The doctor actually had the nerve to say that thimerosal is completely safe.  What an idiot.   Our state actually has a law that pregnant women and children under 3 must receive mercury free flu vaccines, but due to the H1N1 issue, the state has temporarily suspended that law which I find appalling. 


Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)