Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adult AD/HD? Anyone gone threw the testing??? If so I have questions

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM
  • 6 Replies

On top of all my medical problems I have noticed my childhood friend AD/HD has been a bit in the for front and making things even worse.

So I wonder how do I seek help? I have known I've had AD/HD sence I was 8 and in the 3rd grade.

Jenn

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tab9344
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM

No clue,

aridattebayo
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Call a psychiatrist that accepts your insurance (you can call your insurance and ask for a provider directory) and make an appointment. They'll handle evaluations, possible medication, therapy, anything else you may need relating to your ADD treatment. If you have no insurance, call your local mental health authority (In Michigan it's Community Mental Heath and in Pennsylvania its called MH/MR - their number is in the government listings and under whatever county you live in) and ask them where the nearest sliding scale mental health clinic is and call them to make an intake appointment. If you are low-income/non-insured, you may be able to get services for a reduced cost or completely free. They also provide services/referrals to case management and other things.

Good luck. I have ADD/Inattentive (among other things) and have been in and out of psych treatment since I was a teenager. (I was not dx till I was 17.)

one very metal mommy to a mini-metalhead - Arianna (1/15/07) \m/

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM
Thankfull I have insurance it isn't the best I guess my first step is contacting them and seeing where they'll send me. Thank you
Quoting aridattebayo:

Call a psychiatrist that accepts your insurance (you can call your insurance and ask for a provider directory) and make an appointment. They'll handle evaluations, possible medication, therapy, anything else you may need relating to your ADD treatment. If you have no insurance, call your local mental health authority (In Michigan it's Community Mental Heath and in Pennsylvania its called MH/MR - their number is in the government listings and under whatever county you live in) and ask them where the nearest sliding scale mental health clinic is and call them to make an intake appointment. If you are low-income/non-insured, you may be able to get services for a reduced cost or completely free. They also provide services/referrals to case management and other things.

Good luck. I have ADD/Inattentive (among other things) and have been in and out of psych treatment since I was a teenager. (I was not dx till I was 17.)

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:22 PM

wave

Thank you for posting on the group!  We're glad you're here!

You may also want to post on  these CafeMom Groups:
Advice for Moms

( Moms with ADD/ADHD) Creatively Disorganized Moms! 

We suggest joining and meeting other Moms in these Recommended Groups, too!

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

The search bar at the top of every page can be used to search for specific information.

We hope you're enjoying the site!

- The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

aridattebayo
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM

You're welcome :)

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Thankfull I have insurance it isn't the best I guess my first step is contacting them and seeing where they'll send me. Thank you

one very metal mommy to a mini-metalhead - Arianna (1/15/07) \m/

Brandyh
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:31 PM

well you know your body best.....consider going to the library and getting a book dealing with anxiety/adhd.  It depens on how "bad" your adhd is.  Meditation/caffine/diet/exercise as an adult you can help calm that a bit.  Medicine can always come into play if you want to go that route

Quoting tab9344:

No clue,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)