Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those Mommies who have been induced....

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM
  • 17 Replies

So I am being induced on Wednesday morning, and I couldnt be more excited - I finally get to hold my baby girl!!!! I am 38 weeks, they are inducing me because of my BP problems, and I have heard that induction causes contractions WAY worse than natural contractions. Im a little worried about this. So my question is when I get induced an epidural will still have the same affect as it would if I were to have contractions on my own right? Any tips? Thanks!

It is still surreal that Im gonna be a Mommy in less than 2 days!!!! 

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lvnmylif
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Every one is different but for me the contractions were no different in my natural delivery than when I was induced.  I had two children with epidurals both induced.  Then I had one induced no pain medication and one natural no pain medication.  The only difference for me was I felt better after the delivery when I did not receive the epidural.   

mrs.sawyer6
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I was induced with my DD...she is my only child so that is all I know, but the epidural worked. I was in pretty much no pain...so I don't know what it feels like not being induced, but the epidural I  believe still has the same affect. Good luck and congrats!!

Jade1224
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:39 PM

i dunno girl i was so numb from my epidural that i really couldnt feel any contractions 

mamahoney400
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I went in labor on my own, but was given pitocin to speed things up and I had an epidural and yes, it worked just fine.  The contractions can get pretty brutal on pitocin, yes.  But the epidural worked great for me and I could still push without any problems.  Good luck!  You'll do great.  Just keep thinking how great it will be to hold your baby for the first time.

ariannasmom114
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM

for me the pain of them wasnt no different but they came alot faster when i got induced

doulala
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:41 PM

You won't be able to move much (or at all) with these.   I am not a doctor, but to make the most of this situation, I'd suggest starting with prostaglandin gel or Cervidil insert before Pitocin, and only Pit IF you need it.    Use natural coping techniques as ong as you can.   The longer you hold off, the better.

I think that it's really important to work with your body & with gravity as much as possible.

You might want to be sure to get your Bishop's Score prior to induction, too.   Is it safe to hold off on the induction if the score is not favorable?

And to answer your question:   How your body reacts to the epidural might be different than without induction meds.   Induction is more intense-- I don't know if you'd feel that more, but it's harder than natural contractions.   You're likely to feel (some/all) relief from the epidural either way.

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

RorysMom119
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I was told the same thing, which is why I opted for the epidural. Idk tho, I've only had the one so far. But I did not feel any contractions!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (gdP4)

catk78
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:43 PM

As a labor and delivery nurse, I have never seen an epidural work any different for natural or induced contractions. If you have any questions about what to expect let me know.

meagansmama1009
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Great! Thanks ladies. I just really wanted to make sure that the epi would work the same. Im SO excited I cant hardly contain myself! 

amb_josh
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 8:45 PM

I havent been through natural labor, however i labored for 26 hours with contractions with out a break with no epi....it wasnt that bad

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)