Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bringing babies to a wedding.

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:27 PM
  • 28 Replies
Ok so my step SIL is getting married saturday. I had originally planned to see if MIL or someone could baby sit the twins while we were at the wedding, but DH mentioned that that side of the family hasn't seen them in a couple of months. To top it off she has to work and mom and dad already have plans. I have to agree with him because Some of them actually haven't seen the babies yet!! So he figured it would be nice to have them with us. I figured we could sit in the back during the ceremony in case the babies got fussy. Or he could sit in the sanctuary and I would probably sit outside of it, in the Narthex area or something like it. I am still a little hesitant but he really wants to bring them. And honestly I think it would be great for some of the family to finally meet them. It will be Christmas or later before we'll see some of the family again. We probably won't stay for much of the reception, maybe just stay to see the cake cutting and first dance, then we'd be off. We have to leave early anyway because he has to work that night. What would you do?
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katzmeow726
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:27 PM
BTW I have asked if they would mind if we brought them, but have yet to get a reply. Communication is a little...slwo with that side of the family, LOL.
schunmom
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Take the babies... if its family that hasn't seen them then they will want to see them and hold them. To me a wedding, especially if its family getting married, wouldn't be a wedding without all of the family there, including kids and babies. I won't go as bad as you think it will.

party_of_5
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I think if it's ok with your soon to be SIL then take them. Like you said you can sit towards the back for the "just incase"

katzmeow726
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:33 PM
Quoting party_of_5:

I think if it's ok with your soon to be SIL then take them. Like you said you can sit towards the back for the "just incase"

OH she's already my SIL! She is DH's step sister. Sorry should have made it clearer, my bad! I'm hoping she'll reply. i've called her and facebooked her a message. but I have yet to get a reply
kelsbug05
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I would take them.. like you said just sit in the back to make sure you can have a quick get a away if they get fussy or need fed or changed. In Nov my DH aunt and uncle are getting remarried and My DD is only gonna be about 2 months but we are taking her plus there will prob already be other kids there also.. I would say just take them as long as you dont let them cry or make loud noises during the cermony and leave the room if they do then there shouldnt be a problem.

katzmeow726
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:36 PM
I'm not too concerned. They're both fairly quiet as far as babies go. more than likely they'll sleep through the ceremony :-D
Quoting kelsbug05:

I would take them.. like you said just sit in the back to make sure you can have a quick get a away if they get fussy or need fed or changed. In Nov my DH aunt and uncle are getting remarried and My DD is only gonna be about 2 months but we are taking her plus there will prob already be other kids there also.. I would say just take them as long as you dont let them cry or make loud noises during the cermony and leave the room if they do then there shouldnt be a problem.

krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:39 PM

A wedding without babies!??! Never heard of it.

Seriously, there are always babies at weddings with my family. Never been to a wedding without babies and small children.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Jenny301
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Were their names on the invitation too?  If not, then they weren't invited.  A lot of people don't invite children (especially babies) to weddings.  I'm not saying this is the case with you, but it is something to think about.  Also, what about all of the people and all of the germs they will be exposed to?  I know it is important for family to meet them, but I'm not sure the wedding is the best place for that.  This is supposed to be for the bride and groom, not a welcome party for your LO's.  :)  Not trying to sound rude at all!!

gcstar42
by Shara on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:50 PM

in my family everyone always brings babies to weddings. its usually not a big deal especially since the actual wedding where you need to be quiet usually doesnt take too long (my cousin just got married and her wedding was literally was only 4 minutes long)

Amom4BabyDude
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:56 PM

I would say don't take them.  You keep talking about the family meeting them, etc...but the day is about the bride and groom.  New babies would just distract from that.  Now, if everyone had already met them I almost think it would be more okay to take them because they wouldn't cause such a distraction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)