Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breeder or puppy mill?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:01 PM
  • 6 Replies

I went and seen my neighbor the other day, and i seen that she has 5 pairs of dashhounds in kennels, (mesh wire, not to small, Im 5'4 and i could have problay layed down in one) But I find it odd that she has 10 dogs and i have never seen them, and i litterly live right across the street, i watch her horses every morning. The kennels where clean and tidy, food and water both where present, as well as a cube built out of plywood for them to go in i guess.. All the dogs looked healthy. No puppies where present at the time. I was kinda shocked when i seen this, so i kinda hurryed up and left. Would you consider this a puppy mill or a breeder? I know she breeds them because she was telling me of how one only had 3 pups and 2 where still born, and the other a coon or hog got (we live in the country and have tons of wild animals, so thats not suprising)

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Breeder.  If dogs are clean and healthy and so are their surroundings I would say breeder.  Not sure it's a good life for the dogs but doesn't sound like they are actually mistreated. 

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Puppymills usually have all different types of mixed breed dogs in filthy conditions.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:11 PM

OK thank god...i was sitting here feeling bad thinking it was a puppy the dogs arent or didnt look mistreated in any way, she owns a feed store here in town, so im sure thats where she sells the pups...she has a small farm and breeds manythings, from ducks, to horses.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:13 PM

I would say breeder.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:15 PM

If it was a puppy mill, you would know it. The dogs would be all sort of breeds, in deplorable conditions, and most likely in poor health. It sounds like your friend is a breeder.

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Mills are distinguished by their cramped, crude, filthy conditions and the constant breeding of unhealthy and genetically defective dogs solely for profit.

Very often the dogs in puppy mills are covered with matted, filthy hair, their teeeth are rotting and their eyes have ulcers. We have seen many dogs whose jaws have rotted because of tooth decay.

The dogs are kept in small wire cages for their entire lives. They never are allowed out. They never touch solid ground or grass.

Many of the dogs are injured in fights that occur in the cramped cages from which there is no escape.

Many dogs lose feet and legs when they are caught in the wire floors of the cages and cut off as the dog struggles to free themselves.

Very often there is no heat or airconditioning in a puppymill. The dogs freeze in the winter and die of heat stroke in the summer. Puppies "cook" on the wires of the cages in the summer.

Female dogs are usually bred the first time they come into heat and are bred every heat cycle. They are breed until their poor worn out bodies can't reproduce any longer abnd then they are killed. Often they are killed by being bashed in the head with a rock or shot. Sometimes they are sold to laboratories or dumped. This is often by the time they reach five years old.

Puppy mills and pet stores maximize their profits by not spending money on proper food, housing or veterinary care.

The food that is fed in puppy mills is often purchased from dog food companies by the truck load. It is often made of the sweepings from the floor. It is so devoid of nutritional value that the dogs' teeth rot at early ages.

Dogs in puppymills are debarked often by ramming a steel rod down their throats to reputure their vocal cords.

Puppies are taken from their mother when they are 5 to 8 weeks old and sold to brokers who pack them in crates for resale to pet stores all over the country.

What you described sounds like a breeder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)