Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To young to potty train?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:15 PM
  • 7 Replies

Poll

Question: what do you all think?

Options:

yes

no

other (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

So my oldest son is 17 months and he is always wanting to be in the bathroom with me and my husband so I figure why not try to get him to sit on the potty when I'm going...most of my friends and family say that its to early and all I'll be doing is frustrating myself...

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Oct. 13, 2009 at 11:49 AM

wave

Thank you for posting on the group!  We're glad you're here!

You may also want to post on  these CafeMom Groups:
Advice for Moms

The Potty Training Moms Support Group! 

We suggest joining and meeting other Moms in these Recommended Groups, too!

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

The search bar at the top of every page can be used to search for specific information.

We hope you're enjoying the site!

- The Cafe Group Admin Team 

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Jenni85
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 11:53 AM

My pedi told me when my son was younger that we could start the process at 18 months if he was interested so I don't see why 17 months is too young. Again, to start the process though. I just may be a  longer time until he really gets it down than with an older child. You could always try it and if he's not ready try again later.

Army_Wife41
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 11:54 AM

No way. My mom potty trained me at 17 months. Just listen to your babys signs. They will tell you when they are ready. If it does end up frustrating you, just give it a break. But since you think he is looking interested in it, there is no harm in giving it a shot!

baby

CafeMom Tickers

imechard
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I do not think that it is too early, but a lot of children who potty train early take a longer time, or later on regress to where they pee their pants again. I would make it something that he can do, rather than something he HAS to do, so it is more of a choice.

Both my kids were ready to potty train at around 15 months, but were fully trained at 2.5 years, so that was a long time.

mistie900
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I don't think it is too early... My mom potty trained me completely by 18 months (but she started it a lot earlier). If you think he is wanting to do it I say go for it. If it does get frustrating for you or him you can always stop and try again in a few months. Good luck!

Vera_Faith
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM

my mom started training me b4 i could even walk and by the time i was 1 i was going to the potty by myself.

ElijahsMommy58
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:07 PM

If you think he's ready, go for it. My son went through a phase at that age where he wanted to try to use a potty. I bought him an Elmo (his favorite) potty & he used it twice. Now he's 29 months old & still wearing diapers. Ughh... he just decided he wasnt ready I suppose. Just remember 17 months is awfully young & if he stops using the potty I wouldnt push it. Good luck!

air force      happy       toddler boy

Glenn                  Ashley                   Elijah

We love our Airman!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)