Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FL couple arrested for making child eat soap

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:33 PM
  • 29 Replies

Poll

Question: As a child, have you had your mouth washed with soap as a punishment for using an obscenity??

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 191

View Results

http://news.aol.com/article/florida-couple-arrested-for-making-child/714229

A Florida couple were arrested for making a little girl eat soap...That's what the headline says and at first I was like "What?! They were just doing it old school!" But as I read the article, it turned out they were really arrested for child neglect because the little girl had an allergic reaction to the soap and they seeked no medical assistance. Then my reaction changed to "What?! They didn't take her to the hospital?!"

Ok, I myself would NOT soap my child's mouth with soap after he said something he shouldn't, but as a child I had my mouth washed with soap for using an obscenity ...or two, and so did my dad when he was a kid so to me it really isn't a big deal. But to not get the kid to doctor after the allergic reaction is a different story.

But yeah, I wanted to know how many of you had your mouths full with soap as as a punishment as a child?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:35 PM

I've never had soap in my mouth and neither have my kids.  When we've told our kids not to say specific words, they just didn't say them anymore.  We never had a problem.

missamanda86
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Ive tasted soap a time or ten...but i cant do it to my kids...instead i use a drop of vinegar on teh tip of the tongue.... works wonders

Dara0820
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Ooooooh yeah!!!! I had liquid, bars...and powder...my mom and baby sitter didn't mess around! LOL! But what was wrong is I was told not to say "bad words" yet they ALL used those words around me...thinking I wasn't goin to learn them at some point and time..

saylorsmomma
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Ughh that is horrible. No my parents never washed my mouth out with soap nor would I ever do that to my DD. There are way more effective ways to deal with that sort of situation. I follow the golden rule when parenting. Do onto others as you would do onto yourself. 

randi1978
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I think it depends on the child.  I never had my mouth "washed out", but my brother did numerous times(all my mom had to do was tell me once and it worked).  I have used baby shampoo on my dd once.  Second offense.  First time, I tried talking to her about it and explaining.  Second time, she told me to F**** off.  So I rubbed it on her teeth. 

I generally can control my mouth around her as does my grandmother and my mom.....but my dad and my bro are a different story.  My brother's entire vocabulary consists of swear words.  Luckilly, my daughter doesn't repeat them anymore and hasn't for a few years.  Now she will tell you "What have I told you?  Those words cause nothing but trouble!"

Mina2904
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Soap would have been a blessing... We got tobasco sauce! LOL

But that's jacked up what they did to that poor girl!

tel4him
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 7:48 AM
I had soap once that I remember. I did soap DD once. She said the same word about 3 times. I had warned her. Just one drop of hand soap did it.

Theresa, proud homeschooling mom to Ellie, age 7, Ian, age 5, and...

Kays_Mama06
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Never soap. Just a glare and the ultimate threat. Worked every time.  

Nikki9484
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 8:02 AM

I never had soap in my mouth and I have never done that to my kids. My boyfriend has put soap in his kids mouth. His son called me a fat bitch and his daughter was mad at me for telling her to clean up her toys and said she was going to kill me and laugh... His kids just turned four and five. 

fallnangel3
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Quoting saylorsmomma:

Ughh that is horrible. No my parents never washed my mouth out with soap nor would I ever do that to my DD. There are way more effective ways to deal with that sort of situation. I follow the golden rule when parenting. Do onto others as you would do onto yourself. 

This.  I use that rule with all 3 of mine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)