Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No spanking mamas, give me your ideas!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:45 PM
  • 31 Replies

Ok, so I have been talking to my husband about all this... and, yes, we were BOTH spanked as children and we never had a problem about it. But here is the problem, it DOESN'T WORK. Not on my stubborn daughter and I REFUSE to beat my child. So, we are trying other methods for discipline.

So far, I have tried:

Taking fav. toys/things away (didn't work just kept up the fit...or made it worse)

Time out (with a timer and a minute for each year of age...) (works when she's not throwing crazy fits...)

Threatening to call santa (lol saw it on desperate housewives...and it worked when we were in the store...)

So, in an effort to be a non-spanking parent, I need your discipline ideas. What works when your child is throwing a fit? Any suggestions?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovesAsoldier
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:49 PM

We don't have a problem with fits anymore but when they did happen I ignored them...and when they didn't get attention they quit. If we were at the store I put them in the buggy and let them be mad....I give attention for positive things not for bad behavior. Hope that helps :) Good Luck just keep trying different things something will work!!

amandaeastman
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Agreed when they are throwing a fit ignore them and dont give them the satisfaction

saylorsmomma
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Pick up "the discipline Book" by Dr. William Sears. This book is filled with parenting tips pertaining to positive discipline. Positive discipline can be SUPER effective:) 

Mrs.Wasson
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Did that one too, it worked....semi-sorta...lol...

Quoting amandaeastman:

Agreed when they are throwing a fit ignore them and dont give them the satisfaction

Mrs.Wasson
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Thanks! Will do!

Quoting saylorsmomma:

Pick up "the discipline Book" by Dr. William Sears. This book is filled with parenting tips pertaining to positive discipline. Positive discipline can be SUPER effective:) 

MommynMonster
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Quoting saylorsmomma:

Lurker, but I'll check that book out myself!

De_Chick
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:59 PM

I never spanked but you do have to be consistant so they know what to expect. I would only make them sit in time out for about ten minutes at most. In the beginning kids hate it but after the first several times they know what to expect. My youngest used to get up after doing something wrong and say "I know..time out" and go sit on his bed until I went in to talk to him after awhile. Its important you always tell them why they are in time out. "YOU CANNOT SCREAM LIKE THAT" OR "IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO HIT PEOPLE'. Make sure whatever punishment you give is consistant with what the crime is. For example if they are fighting over a toy you should also remove the toy from the scene. If they are acting out in public and they are old enough to understand do not take them with you the next time you go, etc.

Sparkey6987
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Jee I wish I could help..I was gonna post the same topic! You beat me! Haha. My son is only 4 days shy of 17 months, so I didn't anticipate this until at least 2. I have absolutely NO clue what to do and I've been pulling my hair out for two weeks. (He's been pulling my hair out too.) Please lemme know if you get any helpful tips! And good luck!!

saylorsmomma
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Quoting Mrs.Wasson:

Thanks! Will do!

Quoting saylorsmomma:

Your welcome:)

Mrs.Wasson
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:03 AM

I refuse to yell at  her...tried it...won't work and I refuse to do it. I sit her down and explain to her what she did and why she is getting a time out and I ask her if she understands... and I only give her the amount of minutes per years of age (she's 4 so 4 minutes each time out).

Quoting De_Chick:

I never spanked but you do have to be consistant so they know what to expect. I would only make them sit in time out for about ten minutes at most. In the beginning kids hate it but after the first several times they know what to expect. My youngest used to get up after doing something wrong and say "I know..time out" and go sit on his bed until I went in to talk to him after awhile. Its important you always tell them why they are in time out. "YOU CANNOT SCREAM LIKE THAT" OR "IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO HIT PEOPLE'. Make sure whatever punishment you give is consistant with what the crime is. For example if they are fighting over a toy you should also remove the toy from the scene. If they are acting out in public and they are old enough to understand do not take them with you the next time you go, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)