Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Two different questions, both relate to skin, lol.

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:59 PM
  • 11 Replies

This is kind of random.

Does anyone else get ridiculously dry skin in the winter?

OMG, my skin is soo dry every winter! Right now I am using DS's baby lotion and I use like five coats.

If you do, what brand of lotion do you use? I'm looking for affordable, lol!

AND

Are any of your LO's allergic to bandaids?

DS is! He broke out into a huge rash all over from a bandaid that we have.. I guess the ones from his shots did not break him out because we take them off after about ten minutes. But he fell and had stitches put in, and so we had it covered with a band aid for a about 18 hours until he got his bad rash.

So, if so, what kind of band aids do you get?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmeraldsMommy
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:07 AM

I get dry skin in the winter.  One thing I've learned is that regular lotion actually makes it WORSE for me.  Most lotions contain ingredients that actually dry your skin out, so it works for a little while and then you just end up needing more of it in a few hours.  Look for a brand that does not have any kind of alcohol in it, that's the biggie...  I use California Baby, which I can find at my local Target.

The band-aid thing: some band-aids have latex in them, but the ones you'd get at the doc's office would be latex free.  Perhaps your son has a latex sensitivity? Most latex-free bandaids have a wrapper on them that says so, and others have a warning somewhere on the box if they contain latex.

Parent is a verb.

smarshy
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Oh! I didn't think of latex! Duh.

I should see if that is it.

You know something weird... ?

Being pregnant gave me an allergy to latex and eczema! I still am allergic to latex and have eczema.

DS has eczema, maybe he is really allergic to latex!

I need to go to bed, lol.

Quoting EmeraldsMommy:

I get dry skin in the winter.  One thing I've learned is that regular lotion actually makes it WORSE for me.  Most lotions contain ingredients that actually dry your skin out, so it works for a little while and then you just end up needing more of it in a few hours.  Look for a brand that does not have any kind of alcohol in it, that's the biggie...  I use California Baby, which I can find at my local Target.

The band-aid thing: some band-aids have latex in them, but the ones you'd get at the doc's office would be latex free.  Perhaps your son has a latex sensitivity? Most latex-free bandaids have a wrapper on them that says so, and others have a warning somewhere on the box if they contain latex.

rosa_lee
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:14 AM

There's this Gold Bond healing lotion that my mom usually buys and I end up taking it from her lol cause it costs like 9 bucks and I just will not pay that much but it really works very well. Also the Jergens Ultra Healing is pretty good and it's only about 5 bucks

rkoloms
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Are you drinking enough water? You should be drinking at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Are you getting enough good fats? Try taking evening primrose oil or hemp oil every day. Coconut oil is awesome for applying to dry skin.

Latex allergies are very common.

Robin in Chicago

AMom29
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM

I do.

As for the dry skin, I use Aveeno Baby at work, and Jergen's at home.  Works OK.  Haven't found anything that works 100%.

I have some samples of Cervael (??) at home that came from my DD dermatologist.  I've heard it's expensive, though.

As for the bandaid thing...I buy latex free bandaids and the adhesive just does a number on my skin.  I don't know why, and nothing seems to help.

a wedding website

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

lvaughn26
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 9:32 AM

My DD has eczema and we only use Cetaphil products on her. They work very well. My doctor also recommended Dove products. You may want to give it a try. Other things things you can try is using a laundry soap that does not have any perfume or dye. We use All Free & Clear. Also, if you are using bleach or fabric softener: STOP! If you have eczema these things can irritate your skin when you put your clothes on. My Doc told us to use borax instead of bleach and it works fine. My husband has horrible dry, flaky skin and he uses the Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream and it works miracles for him. Hope this helps you and your family.

CafeMom Tickers
BuggersMom05
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM

My skin gets so dry it looks like I have a peeling sun burn.  It's awful.  I have been using olive oil (yes the plain old cooking olive oil) and applying it to my face and then washing it as I usually would with a face wash.  I make sure I give my face a good scrub (just enough to get the dead dry skin off...nothing too tough) and then pat dry with a towel.  I apply any old face moisterizer after that.  Sometimes it's nice expensive stuff...sometimes it cheap crap I pick up at a random dollor store. 

Plus the olive oil is suppose to help with wrinkles. 

vettechmom88
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2009 at 1:20 PM

the best stuff for severely dry skin is by Alba, and its called Un-Petroleum Jelly.  its like vaseline, but it isnt as greasy and its organic and doesnt break you out like putting vaseline on your skin would (assuming you would use it on your face as well). its a little expensive in the stores, its found in the natural/ organics section, but you can find it online a lot cheaper, thats where i always order mine. just search it and youll get lots of stores, drugstore.com and amazon are usually good.

"Never judge a man by how he treats his peers, judge him by how he treats his inferiors." ~ Albus Dumbledore

dychemommy
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 6:07 PM

I get insanely dry skin on my hands, especially!  Two things that seem to help really well are putting lanolin on the really bad spots before bed and another thing I've done is used bag balm (like for chapped cow udders).  Right before bed, really coat your hands with it then slip on an old pair of socks or those cheapy knit gloves you can get for a few bucks at most stores like Walmart.  Leave them on all night then take them off in the morning.  It always heals my hands right up and makes my nails really hard, too.  My dad will use it and usually just rubs on enough to coat then spends about 10-15 minutes rubbing it in.  I also have lotion in every room of the house and pretty much put it on whenever I pass a bottle, lol!  Yay for inheriting my mom's insanely dry skin!

Oh, and, if you can find or order it, try Northridge Gardens Solid Lotion Bar.  I got some to help with dry skin while pregnant and it works wonders!  The bar lasts for forever and has all natural ingredients.  The scents I've smelled (just about all of them) were all good and they offer scentless if you want.  Their website is www.northridgegardens.com and if you're in Washington you could probably find it in many shops that carry local products.  I have the "just lavender" and literally the ingredient list is olive oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, beeswax, cocoa butter, and fragrance oil (lavender).  Thats it.  I think I paid maybe $7 for a 2 oz bar thats lasted about a year.

ColtonKeatonMom
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I use baby lotion too, lol. Or Jergen's  Ultra Healing, Udder Cream, and Aveeno. Keaton is allergic to the tape the hospital uses to tape gauze or ivs down, but neither of my kids are allergic to band-aids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)