Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My teen boy needs help. (PIOG)

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 1:46 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have a teen boy that has really oily hair & his face has broken out really bad.   What kind/brand shampoo should he use & what to wash his face?   I told him to use Suave Daily Clarifying & Noxzema for his face.    Any idea I would love.   Thanks

by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AshGabKaiser
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Not noxema. My 15 yr old son had the same problem. He uses those clearasil daily cleaning pads & they work great. He hasn't had a zit again. ( & trust   me- he eats alot of junk food.)  Oddly  enough, it was other guys who told him to use this, not me. None  of these guys have ANY  zits.

oOoLeilanioOo
by ♥Leilani♥ on Oct. 13, 2009 at 2:02 AM

Tell him to drink more water and eat less oily foods.

Get him this face wash (always use face lotion after or he will become even more oily):

And Sunsilk’s Summer Fresh Shampoo.

Joeytwoponys
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Noxema used to give my kids acne.  I would try head and shoulders on his hair with no conditioner.  As far as his face.....my son had really bad acne.  I used to make him goat milk soap with oatmeal and rosemary in it.  cleared him up within a couple of months, washing his face twice/day. 

zackaroosmom
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 2:05 AM

I think its baking soda you can mix in the shampoo for the oily hair. 

lakajungurl
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 2:06 AM

my son is 15 .he uses Boire(or however you spell it)daily face cleanser and the St .Ives apricot face scrub .he only uses the st.ives every other day cause it will dry out your face .and as far as shampoo goes we all use the Tea Tree Shampoo .i usually get it from Smart Stlye inside walmart .or just what they sell right off the shelve in the HBA department .my son also likes the Axe Shampoo/as long as you dont get the shampoo with moisturerizer in it /and tell him to only use conditioner once or twice a week .they also have the Suave body /hair wash my son said it was oaky but it made his skin dryier .the Tea Tree Shampoo is his favorite it cost like $12 a bottle and it's good to use every day.my son dont have achne but my brother had it bad and he used Proactive .

HouseKatof2
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 2:08 AM

Quoting AshGabKaiser:

Not noxema. My 15 yr old son had the same problem. He uses those clearasil daily cleaning pads & they work great. He hasn't had a zit again. ( & trust   me- he eats alot of junk food.)  Oddly  enough, it was other guys who told him to use this, not me. None  of these guys have ANY  zits.

I got these for my kids, and they are awesome.

My son breaks out real bad from where his glasses sit. I got the Clean & Clear Persa Gel 10 for him to use in that area. It is like a miracle cream!

For his hair, my son uses daily clarifying shampoo and I tell him to wash his hair twice. Seems to be doing a pretty good job, as long as he doesn't try to skip a day.

Good luck!

"It is in our obligation to endure that we achieve the right to know."
~My Dad   

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" 
~Fredrick Douglass

manderjane
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 2:15 AM

This little thing has changed my life.  My pores are visibly smaller, my skin felt smoother the first time I used it, and it's not dried me out.  It comes with 14 days worth of pads that have cleaning solution already on them.  You just attach the pad to the Wave, wet it, and move it all around your face.  It comes in a myriad of different colors (I have the pink) and I would recommend it to anyone.

Neutrogena Wave Website 

Emmariel
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo for the hair.

Only thing that works for my hair. It doesn't smell great at first...but the scent doesn't last in your hair. It's wonderful!

Debbie233
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Thanks everyone so much.  This has opended my eyes.  

little-princess
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2009 at 5:27 AM

Getting Rid of Oily Hair

Shampoo less often to reduce oily hair. Washing your hair every day strips it of natural oils and coats it with unnecessary chemicals and residue, leaving it limp and under-nourished. Find a shampoo that suits your hair type and wash every other day to let your hair and scalp produce and replenish their own oils.  Do not use a moisturizing shampoo. It will only contribute to the problem. The ingredients will weigh heavily on your hair, causing it to look oily.  Do not scrub your hair when you wash it. You may be tempted to rub your scalp harder but it is one of the worse things that you can do. The sebaceous glands in your scalp will go into over-drive and crank up the production of oil. Gently lather in the shampoo with your fingertips

Natural Healthy Hair: Sprinkle some baking soda into your shampoo before putting it on your hair once every 3 weeks and then wash and rinse as normal. This is great for people with oily hair as it helps rid the hair of residue, oils and build up. Follow up with a conditioner or conditioning treatment to help re-moisturize the hair.

Use less conditioner to get rid of oily hair. Choose a light conditioner to use every other day, or just apply it to the ends of your hair, where it's needed the most. Always use conditioner in small amounts--less than a teaspoon.

Rinse your hair thoroughly and use fewer styling products to reduce oil build-up. The build up of compounds from styling products and perspiration contributes to the problem of oily hair. Take extra time when washing your hair to scrub your scalp and rinse your hair thoroughly to eliminate excess oils.

A healthy diet can restore balance to your hair and scalp's natural oils. Avoid excessively fatty and oily foods, as well as additives and preservatives. Heavy fats work their way into skin oils, causing overly oily skin and hair. Increase your intake of vitamins, minerals, proteins, and fresh fruits and vegetables to restore natural, healthy levels of bodily oils.

Reduce your stress levels to get rid of oily hair. Stress in other parts of your life (such as the fluctuating hormones of the female cycle) will affect the state of your hair (and the rest of your body), so be aware of your mental and emotional health and take time every day to wind down and relax. Regular exercise can also reduce stress levels and restore bodily health.

Freebie Finders
http://www.cafemom.com/group/freebiefinders 
                                                          Home-canning Mommies
                                                     http://www.cafemom.com/group/homecanning        

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN