Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sleepytime Tea and Pregnancy?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 4:44 PM
  • 11 Replies

Is Celestial Times Sleepytimes tea a safe tea to drink during pregnancy?

by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jendawn1
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 4:45 PM

NO

CallieJo05
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 4:48 PM

why??

Quoting jendawn1:

NO

adulation
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM

assuming you're not going to drink 10 cups a night you should be fine.  [i worked in an herbal healthfood store for a while.]

but if you don't want to take my word for it...

Quote:

Is it safe to drink herbal tea during pregnancy?

Is it safe to drink herbal tea during pregnancy?

Expert Answers

Christopher Hobbs, botanist, herbalist, acupuncturist

It depends. I don't think there is anything on the market that in the dose of a cup of tea a day could cause any harm (although I do tell my patients to try to avoid herbs in general during the first trimester when the fetus may be particularly vulnerable). Teas are so much more diluted than herbal tinctures, for example. I would avoid teas that contain ingredients with well-known pharmacological actions, such as kava or St. John's Wort. I would also stay away from teas that might cause the onset of menstrual or uterine contractions, such as black or blue cohosh. Raspberry leaf tea is commonly used as the foundation of almost all pregnancy teas and is completely safe. It's thought to help promote effective uterine contractions at delivery. Another safe nutritive tea is Aveena or oat straw tea, which is beneficial for the nervous system if you're anxious or depressed. Nettle tea is also safe in pregnancy and it contains a lot of nutritive minerals.

I'm not aware of any that are bad. If you want to drink chamomile or mint tea, that's fine. But I probably wouldn't drink teas that claim to contain "nutritional supplements," like St. John's Wort or ginseng. It's not so much that supplements are bad for the baby, but that I don't know that they are good. In general the fewer iffy things you ingest, the better off you are. And you don't know what kinds of contaminants may be present in these supplements since the Food and Drug Administration doesn't regulate them.

Xandriasmommy
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Chamomile(sp?) can make you miscarry or o into preterm labor 

MarchMarie
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I know that my bedtime tea says NOT to drink while pregnant... Read the box 

CafeMom Tickers

I'm a 22 year old, married, conservative Momma, with just a hint of CRUNCH!
Learn it, Love it, Live it!

adulation
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Quoting Xandriasmommy:

Chamomile(sp?) can make you miscarry or o into preterm labor 

not the amount that's in a cup of "celestial times" tea.  that tea is cheap and diluted. 

CallieJo05
by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 6:08 PM

I DID read the box...and flipped it upside down and inside out..and NOTHING...thats why I decided to throw my question out there into cyberspace...AKA cafemom. :)

Quoting MarchMarie:

I know that my bedtime tea says NOT to drink while pregnant... Read the box 

dafunkgurl
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 3:32 PM

my high risk pregnancy doctor just yesterday in fact told me this is completely fine to drink while pregnant and in fact is the one who suggested it

mommyakabooby
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 3:33 PM
I used to drink it all the time while I was pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MultiPara
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I heard its a no no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN