Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How would you spell Madeline?!

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 11:47 PM
  • 19 Replies

My DD is 10 months old and her name is Madeline...pronounced Mad-ah-lynn. Before she was born my DH and I were torn on how to spell her name. There were so many options to choose from. One day someone made the comment, "If you spell her name a 'different' way, she will never be able to find pencils, keychains, etc...with her name on it." Well, for some reason, this made me stay with the original spelling of Madeline!

Since shes been born, everyone seems to pronounce it Mad-eh-LINE. It is starting to drive me crazy! I dont want her to always have to correct people her whole life. Its only been 10 months and Im already tired of having to do it! How do you pronounce Madeline when you see it and how would you spell it? My DH seriously wants us to consider having the spelling of her name changed while she is still young and nobody will really even notice.

Here are all the different ways to spell it that we have found:

Madeline

Madeleine

Madelyn  (or lynn, lynne)

Madalyn (or lynn, lynne)

Madilyn (or lynn, lynne)

by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K.a.C.87
by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 11:52 PM

if i seen it spelled Madeline, id say 'mad-a-line'

i was going to name this baby Madalyn if it was going to be a girl. id rather have them say my dd's name right vs finding it on a pencil! lol

i am use to not finding my name on a penicl anyways because of the spell....VERY VERY common name (kelly) but it is spelt Kelli.....and honestly id rather be a lil dif and not be able to find my name on a pencil! that's just me thou :)

and sometimes, u wouldnt find that name anyways.....my dd's name is Eliahna (or spelling Eliana, but i have never seen it on a pencil....so it didn't bother me) -- AND people still say it wrong thou because they dont read it!!!!!!!! lol

either way u will prob lose! :( lol

i am a 21 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allen. Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

visit our family at -- http://nichclem07.blogspot.com/

DaisyAg2003
by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Ours is Madeline Pearl

We pronounce it mad-uh-lin

We usually call her May though.

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I like the way you spelled it!

ayschia_markie
by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 11:55 PM

My sisters name is spelled and pronounced like you daughter's. She's never been called Mad-a-line.

kelleygirl76
by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Mine's Kelley, lol.  And I had a Great Aunt Madeline (and we pronounced it Mad-a-line, lol)

Quoting K.a.C.87:

i was going to name this baby Madalyn if it was going to be a girl. id rather have them say my dd's name right vs finding it on a pencil! lol

i am use to not finding my name on a penicl anyways because of the spell....VERY VERY common name (kelly) but it is spelt Kelli.....and honestly id rather be a lil dif and not be able to find my name on a pencil! that's just me thou :)

and sometimes, u wouldnt find that name anyways.....my dd's name is Eliahna (or spelling Eliana, but i have never seen it on a pencil....so it didn't bother me) -- AND people still say it wrong thou because they dont read it!!!!!!!! lol

nb14738
by on Oct. 16, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I know... Its a lose lose situation...lol! Im not worried about finding the spelling on anything, just about always having to correct people. My name is Nichole and its not commonly spelled with a H. Most people write Nicole and I dont even bother correcting people anymore :o)

Quoting K.a.C.87:

nb14738
by on Oct. 16, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

Yay...theres one...lol! Thanks ;o)

DaisyAg2003
by on Oct. 16, 2009 at 12:17 AM

We have it spelled that way for our 2 year old, so we are the same.  Of course when people ask her name, we say it Mad-uh-lin.

We haven't run into anyone that pronounces it Mad-uh-line...yet!

Quoting nb14738:

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

Yay...theres one...lol! Thanks ;o)

De_Chick
by on Oct. 16, 2009 at 12:24 AM

I always think of Madeline as MAD UH LINE and Madelynn as the other. I think its because I knew a Mad uh LINE growing up though and that is how she spelled it.

hisbabybat
by on Oct. 16, 2009 at 12:26 AM

I would probably spell it Madelyn.

If I saw Madeline I probably would pronounce it mad-eh-LINE, as well.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN