Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 15 month old has a 102 degree fever

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 3:01 AM
  • 23 Replies

I talked to the pharmacy and they said to give him tylenol and wait, my son just woke up and he did not have a fever when he went to bed. Should I bring him to the hospital anyway? He has never had a fever that high. The themometer reached exactly 102 degrees.

ETA: he had a couch cough (sorry it was about 3 in the morning when I wrote this) when he went ot bed and now he is couching  coughing alot.

EDIT::: Well, I couldn't get his fever under 101 so I tried to make him as comfortable as possible and we went to the urgent care center this morning. Also, he wouldn't eat this morning and hardly wanted to drink. I kept trying to give him pedialyte but he didn't want anything. But I found out that I was giving him the wrong dose this morning because I was giving him motrin based on his age like his doctor said which was 1.875 of the infants concentrated motrin. But the doc today said to give him 6 mL of the children's motrin and to alternate it with the tylenol if I want. They finally got his fever down and he is doing much better.Although, this was the first time that I have seen an infant catheter. My poor baby, they said it wouldn't hurt and I think he was screaming from us holding him down but it looked painful and I hope my bubby never has to go through it again. So apparently, he has a "middle ear infection" This is the first time so they gave me some antibiotics for him to take for 10 days. Thank you ladies for your help. I was just so worried because he has never had a fever like that, he has fluxuated around 100 degree but never much higher. I was going to wait to call the DR tommorow but I knew it would take forever to get my son in. Also, I didn't ask for your opinions to "look like a fool" but this is my first child and this is the first time that he is sick like this so I was really worried. Wouldn't you worry if your child had what you thought to be a high fever and you didn't know what to do? Anyway. Thank again mommas.

by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 3:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 3:06 AM

 He should be okay the fever dhould come down with the tylenol. Don't panic mamma. I have seen my own kids have higher fevers than that even at that age.

by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Call the hospital hotline they will suggest whether or not to bring him in

by faith on Oct. 18, 2009 at 3:14 AM

give the tylenol a chance to can also put him in the tub - start with luke warm water (it will feel cool to your little one)and gradually cool it down some more,this should also help bring the temp down. I know it's unsettling when little ones get sick especially fevers, I've been there many times (6 children) and you never really get use to your "baby" no matter how old they are,being sick.

by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 3:17 AM

You can try stripping him down to a diaper and putting on a cool washcloth. Check to see if you can give him ibuprofen too.

by Justine on Oct. 18, 2009 at 3:20 AM

 My daughter has been sick the past few nights just switch between ibprofin and tylenol she had a high fever like that and all i did was switch. I would personally wait and call my pedi in the morning. 


by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 3:22 AM

He will be fine. My 5m old is batteling a 102.5 fever right now. I agree with the tylenol, warm bath and motrin. You give tylenol then 3 hrs later motrin then 3 hrs later tylenol etc...  It works wonders.

Hope he feels better soon.

by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 3:27 AM

What does him having a couch have to do with a fever? Hop in the shower with him to cool him off

by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 3:29 AM

what i've done with ds since he was around 6 months old is that on the off chance that he runs a fever of less than 102.5 i give him tylenol or ibuprofin or rotate them, i strip him down to his diaper, and i try hard to get him to lie down with a cool wash cloth on his forehead. there's only been one time i couldn't break his fever and that was just a week and a half ago. when i can't break it i wait til he's had his fever for at least 24 hours and then i call the ped. this time he only had his fever for 4 hours before i called, but it spiked to 103.7. just gauge how he's acting and i say call in the morning if you can't break it tonight.

also.... if his fever is 101 or lower you shouldn't give him any medication. my ped has always told me that as long as he's not running a fever higher than that the fever needs to run its coarse to help his body fight off whatever virus is causing the fever.

hope this helps, mama. and just remember... you can always call your local er or your insurance's nurse hotline (which is MAGICAL!) if you get too scared.


I'm the young mommy to an active, talkative 2 year old and a smiley, alert 2 month old. :)

by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 3:56 AM
My son just did this two weeks ago. His fever was 102.6. I don't give tylenol until the fever goes above 102. You can feel your son and see if he is burning up, if it's over 102 then I'd wake him to give him tylenol. You can take his temp under his arm. Don't be alarmed if his fever is higher in the morning when he first wakes up then declines during the day
by on Oct. 18, 2009 at 5:59 AM

if you take him to the hospital with a 102.0 temp.. you will be sent home feeling like a fool.

IF  they even waste their time seeing your kid.

your child has a cold. unless your child has a temp of 104.5 or higher... there is nothing that the e.r. CAN or WILL do.. other than tell you that your child has a cold and send you home.


Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)