Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My 1 year old touched the hot oven!

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM
  • 17 Replies

Last night I thought my husband was holding my 1 year old son while I was checking on some steaks I was broiling for dinner. Apparently not. Next thing I know my husband is snatching up my son and he's crying. We rushed him into the bathroom and ran cold water over his hands. He was crying and I checked his hands and they were red, but I assumed that they were red from the cold water. I was almost bed time, so I gave him some tylenol and put him to bed.

When he woke up this morning he had a blister (about the size of a quarter) on one of his palms. It's the same as if you or I would touch something hot. Nothing too extreme, and it doens't seem to be bothering him too much (unless something touches it directly). I've been giving him some tylenol, and I looked online and it says that we don't need direct medical attention unless it looks infected. My question is, do I need to wrap it? I don't think he would leave anything on it. I'm just a little worried...  I feel so terrible. I should never have let this happen!

armyDaddy pregnant bellyMommy toddler boyAlexanderstorkBaby Roberts #2 Due May, 2009

by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oceanus407
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM

No don't wrap it. I believe you ar esupposed to let it get air so it doesn't get infected 

Ha! Made you look!

kk_bella
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I would want to wrap it simply so that if it DOES pop, he won't get anything in it before you notice that it has popped.

Change the bandage frequently and take it off for baths/nap/sleepy time. If it does pop, clean it with cool water and put some neosporin on it, and another bandage.

Hope he feels better, my daughter once touched a hot fajita plate while we were at dinner, it was so scary :( 

mom2ljh
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I probably wouldn't wrap it.  My son got burned a few months ago on the oven door.  He got into the kitchen (we didn't know he could open the hardware mount baby gate) and opened the oven.  He had an oven mitt on his hand and was apparently planning to help take dinner out of the oven.
Anyhow, he had a little blister and we just let the air get to it and it healed on up after about a week.  He had a scar for awhile but that has faded and isn't even visible now.  I hope he feels better soon.

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

traceybard
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Call your pediatrician and ask what they think. 

Not.So.Virginal
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 12:00 PM

my best advice is to call your pediatrician and ask... they would know better than most moms on here, even if some of us have been through it

kids touching hot things it fairly common, so it doesnt make you horrible

isra1986
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I wouldn't wrap it. 
My aunt put her flat iron preheating in the bathroom and DD was being Ms. Nosey as usual and reached up and touched the hot iron! She had blisters!
Things like this happen! Don't beat yourself up!

logansmama16
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Not trying to be a bitch..but you NEVER run COLD water on a BURN!! Although it might make it feel better it's not the right thing to do!

Maddismom2007
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Cool the burn. Hold the burned area under cold running water for at least five minutes, or until the pain subsides. If this is impractical, immerse the burn in cold water or cool it with cold compresses. Cooling the burn reduces swelling by conducting heat away from the skin. Don't put ice on the burn. 

just fyi

Quoting logansmama16:

Not trying to be a bitch..but you NEVER run COLD water on a BURN!! Although it might make it feel better it's not the right thing to do!

ZachsMom325
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Cold water is OK ice is not. I'm not sure if it would work now but I know right after it happens put toothpaste on the burn and put a band aid on.Leave on for like 10 minutes or so. This is suppose to reduce the blister, if you do this soon enough usually within 2 minutes if you can a blister will not even appear.

A couple months ago DS got burned and I googled what to do and I found out about the toothpaste trick. 

ArmyWife4Life08
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM

That's what I was always told to do too. I just thought it was common knowledge to put cold on a burn. Hmm..

Quoting Maddismom2007:

Cool the burn. Hold the burned area under cold running water for at least five minutes, or until the pain subsides. If this is impractical, immerse the burn in cold water or cool it with cold compresses. Cooling the burn reduces swelling by conducting heat away from the skin. Don't put ice on the burn. 

just fyi

Quoting logansmama16:

armyDaddy pregnant bellyMommy toddler boyAlexanderstorkBaby Roberts #2 Due May, 2009

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)