Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

new black barbie not black enough

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM
  • 149 Replies

well i don't get it; because most white women don't have thin blonde hair and blue eyes either..but whatever

CNN) -- Grace, Kara and Trichelle were created to fill a void for young black girls who for so long have been playing with dolls that don't look like them.

Stacy McBride-Irby, creator of the new Barbie, poses with the dolls.

Stacy McBride-Irby, creator of the new Barbie, poses with the dolls.

The new black Barbies released by Mattel have fuller lips, curlier hair and other features that the company says more accurately represent African-American women.

Some have cheered the new dolls. Others jeered them, saying they're not black enough.

"I love the black Barbie. It's about time," Jua Simpson said on CNN's iReport, a user-generated news community. "But the hair is still a step backwards, since most of our hair is not straight and light brown."

Others disagree with critics who say the dolls should have had more natural black hairstyles, such as afros or braids.

"Many people have criticized the dolls for either having hair that's too long or too straight, but I have long, straight hair that I straightened. But it's my hair and a part of me," said Tanisa Zoe Samuel, an African-American iReporter from the Turks and Caicos, in the Caribbean. "Black women come in all shades, shapes and varieties that there is just no way to capture everyone with three dolls." iReport.com: Samuel shares her thoughts on the new Barbie

The dolls were created by Stacy McBride-Irby, an African-American who watched her daughter play with dolls and wanted to create a doll that looked more like her.

McBride-Irby said she has heard the criticism, but she also has received many kudos.

"They mean so much to me because they did come from a positive place," McBride-Irby said. "My daughter loves the dolls. I've had dads thank me for creating this line of dolls that represent their little girls. These dolls are for girls all over the world."

This is not the first time Mattel has released an ethnic doll that drew criticism. Photo See photos of the black Barbie dolls »

In 1997, Mattel collaborated with cookie maker Nabisco to create Oreo Fun Barbie. The black version of the doll, which sported an Oreo-shaped purse, was criticized by some who noted that "Oreo" is a derogatory term in the black community. The word is used to describe someone who is perceived as black on the outside and white on the inside.

For some, the talk about dolls is not just child's play. Some think early play with dolls can affect a girl's self-esteem later in life.

advertisement

Actress Nia Long, who appears in comedian Chris Rock's new documentary, "Good Hair," recently talked about the issue on CNN.

"Historically, the Afrocentric features have not been celebrated," Long said. "This makes us question the integrity of our beauty standard for ourselves."

by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cdgoldilocks
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Straight hair is "in" right now. I don't see Beyonce or Halle Berry sporting an Afro or braids. OMFG people need to braid their own damned barbie's hair. They can give it their own special corn rows or whatever.

2egbhgx.jpg Eleanor Roosevelt image by whatadollx3

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. -Barry Goldwater

Phoenix_sp
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I agree with you.  Everyone doesnt (hell 99% of people dont) look like barbie either,,,

Sarah 10-85 & DH 03-87  DS 11-06 & DD#1 05-08 & EDD DD#2 02-10

BFing, RFing (will beEHing), CSing, CDing, nonCIO, HBing, NonCircing, Selective/Delayed Vaxing, Do whats best for you Kind of Mama.

bablondie
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM

I never see redhead barbies with actual freckles, either!

southernjess3
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM

im so sick of all this racist not black enough shit....maybe parents need to make their own kids dolls

Arlyah
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 5:27 PM

This! I see a lot of black women with straight hair these days. I think the barbie is cute.  I played with a barbie when I was a kid and I didn't have blonde hair, blue eyes, and an unrealistic figure! :P

Quoting cdgoldilocks:

Straight hair is "in" right now. I don't see Beyonce or Halle Berry sporting an Afro or braids. OMFG people need to braid their own damned barbie's hair. They can give it their own special corn rows or whatever.

bxbsmommy
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 5:27 PM

That is in with famous people...not necessarily regular people.  I think all dolls need to represent "regular" people better.

Quoting cdgoldilocks:

bxbsmommy
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 5:28 PM

So not being satisfied with something is racist? Wow...ok!

Quoting southernjess3:

im so sick of all this racist not black enough shit....maybe parents need to make their own kids dolls

samthecat001
by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM

lol EXACTLY.

i am glad they came out with black barbies...but seriously...complaining about them not being "black enough". **eye roll**  cause BARBIE IS SOOOOO REALISTIC RIGHT????  yeesh.  like you said, blonde / blue eyed is not the most common... nor is being like a 32DD with a 10 inch waist

Never look a gift Chuck Norris in the mouth,
                        because he will bite your damn eyes off.

anetrnlov

Oh this is such bullshit.

The way to help the world is to start with your own family. ~Mother Teresa

akataml

Because freckles are really fly poop.Least thats what my dad told this red head

Quoting bablondie:

I never see redhead barbies with actual freckles, either!

jeff.gif jeff hardy image by 200152750j

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)