Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Teaching my 4 year old his letters and numbers

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 10:14 AM
  • 27 Replies

My little boy is 4 years old and is in his first year of preschool . He has never had an interest in learning to color, his letters, numbers anything that involves learning or sitting still for any period of time. I mean this kid wouldn't even sit still to color a picture. Well his first 9 weeks are up and I get his report card and he has "needs improvement" in recognizing his letters, knowing their sounds and writing them correctly and recognizing his numbers and writing them correctly. So, I have been doing some flash cards with him and I work with him every night for about 15-20 minutes and when I tell you he isn't getting it. I am so serious. Last night, I strictly concentrated on just 2 letters A and E, and he never got it. I have NO idea what to do. I can write the letter A and then another letter and he recognizes and can tell you which one is the A, but to show him the letter A and ask him to tell you what it is...well, he just doesn't get it. I also purchased a dry erase board so he could practice writing his letters and numbers...

My question is how did/do you guys get your kids to learn their letters and numbers? I'm kinda stumped.
Thanks to all who answer!

SAHM to 3 children, daycare provider for 5 children. Married for 6 years. Former pediatric nurse, Bible believer, church goer, co-sleeper when necessary, FF, I vaccinate my children. My opinions are my opinions and doesn't mean that yours are wrong or that mine are better than yours. I hate drama and love discussions and finding out what other people think.

by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orcadarwin
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Try going to starfall.com.  It's a great site for kids to learn their letters.  My son has difficulty too.  His teacher uses this site in the classroom and suggested that I use it at home.  There's interactive things the kids can do with letters.

cowboygal
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2009 at 10:38 AM

After a year in preschool my ds could still not count to 10. He was put in for exended school (summer school) in preschool. Then he learned them. He then had another year of preschool. He had no interest in learning either. I was so afraid he would not get it.  But he finally got it about 6 months ago (just in time for K). Try other fun activities along with the cards so it does not seem like learning.  Maybe give him a letter to look for in the gocery store or on billboards.

This signature is very tall. Try to keep it shorter than this green section.
mom22tumblebugs
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Take shaving cream and smear it on a cookie sheet and teach him to fingerpaint, and then have him try to copy your letters with his finger. You can do the same with salt, or with chocolate pudding in a ziploc bag.

You can print off letter worksheets and have him glue froot loops on it... Our preschool does this. They focus on one letter a week.

You can try http://www.starfall.com/

Another great CD to look for is by Frogstreet ... you might be able to find at a teacher store. It comes in alphabet, numbers, shapes. It was used in my daughter's classroom.

http://www.amazon.com/SING-READ-ALPHABET-COLLECTION-CD/dp/B000F8V94S/ref=pd_bxgy_t_text_c

If you child is still lagging at the end of the school yr and you were planning to put him in kindergarten, just know you can delay him starting by a yr so that he can mature more, which might help him to learn. Rather hold him back before kindergarten then have to redo a yr of kindergarten or first grade. 

ThatsNotMyName
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Last year for Christmas we got our daughter (she just turned 3) a musical ABC puzzle. Each letter was a separate piece.  When she put it in the correct spot it would say the letter, the phonics, and a word that it starts with.  When she would get all the letters in their spot the puzzle would sing the ABC song.  That really helped her get to know the letters.

This summer we got her a dry erase board from Wal-Mart.  It has the trace dots for ABC's 123's and shapes.  We really wanted to get her into writing her letters and numbers.  I worked with her all summer.  She can trace them all perfectly now.  And she can write her name by herself now. 

lovinmystar
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 11:06 AM

My daughter learned through a combination of books, puzzles, Leap Frog type toys, and Sesame Street. She showed an interest early on and she soaks up information like a sponge, so it was easy with her. I never taught her. She just learned through playing and asking questions. 

CafeMom Tickers
luv2wahm
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM
Leapfrog has dvds that I have used for both of my girls..I love them. I bought them for my now 10 year old when she was 3(at the time I bought them on VHS..) They are called the Talking Letter Factory and Talking Word factory..not only does it highlight the look of the letters, but the sounds of the letters as well..we have followed it up with the Leapfrog Word Whammer. My now 5 year old watches them quite often and I just bought the Math Circus for her... They have been a great asset in helping my children learn their numbers and letters..

Team Santa~

Who I am as a mom can not be expressed in a paragraph. It is expressed by who my children will become.

sryle
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 11:12 AM

My son started learning letters & numbers around 18 months... we had several toys we've used, it doesn't have to be books. They make tons of toys that teach letters & numbers... but the best one we had is a refrigerator magnet: it has all the letters A-Z and numbers 1-10, and you put them into a little musical device and it does  a little diddy about the letter or number to teach them what it is... also, if he likes to watch TV they make tons of DVDs for this... Little Enstein videos, Seseme Street... our  favorite channel is either PBS or Playhouse Disney b/c of the learning shows.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=leap+frog+letter&hl=en&cid=9788671475482505171&sa=title#p

LeapFrog 20305 Electronics : Fridge Phonics Magnetic Letter Set

Photobucket  Photobucket     

SMLemos
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM

WE will focus on one letter a week.  And each day will have a combination of things he could do.  My son does not usually sit still for anything either.  So for like Monday do A for apple. So you could color and apple and cut it out, color the letter A, practice drawing the letter A, give him apple slices for a snack.  I have a variety of work books, so I will pull out the pages that relate to the letter we are working on.  Then one day you could focus on Ant's and do the Ants marching song.  Just give him a variety of things to do  that all focus on one letter at a time, that way he can relate all those different activities or categories to the letter.  You can do a search for Free Workbooks or Free Lesson Plans for Preschoolers. 

yayay15
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Starfall.com is a good website...I also bought letter and number puzzles and as he would take one out I was say the letter or number and as he would put one in I would say the letter.  Then I started asking him.  You can also try showing him a letter and saying is this an A or an E.  Also, the Leap Frog movies are great!!!  My son learned a lot from those movies.  They are $10 at Target and they sometimes have them at Costco for cheaper.  It's called Leapfrog Letter Factory and Math Circus.  Good luck he will get it.  My son is sort of the same way and he got it.  About writing the letters, I have no idea.  My son just started doing that on his own one day.

Also, my sons preschool teacher said instead of making them sit down and learn just teach them as things come up..for example..if you are on an elevator ask him to push the number 2 or if you have some m&m's ask him the colors and count them as you hand them to him.  Things like that.

I am an exclusively breastfeeding, non-vax'g, cloth diapering, kissing, hugging, playing, lovable mom.

SMLemos
by on Oct. 23, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Quoting luv2wahm:

Leapfrog has dvds that I have used for both of my girls..I love them. I bought them for my now 10 year old when she was 3(at the time I bought them on VHS..) They are called the Talking Letter Factory and Talking Word factory..not only does it highlight the look of the letters, but the sounds of the letters as well..we have followed it up with the Leapfrog Word Whammer. My now 5 year old watches them quite often and I just bought the Math Circus for her... They have been a great asset in helping my children learn their numbers and letters..

Both my 3 year old and 19 month old love to watch the Talking Letter Factory dvd.  This is helps with the sounds of letters too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN