Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

is melatonin safe for infants, toddlers and kids?

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 3:41 PM
  • 37 Replies

my sister has been giving her kids melatonin. her kids are  10mo old, 2yrs old, 5 yrs old, 6yrs old, 8yrs old and 10yrs old. is it safe for kids?

preview photopreview image

check out my  daughters myspace page. it is for people to get to know a little about her and what a beautiful baby girl she was before she went home to rest with God.    
 www.myspace.com/joslynnsky

by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomX04
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM

For the oldest probably but only in the smallest dosage possibe but I wouldn't give it to the younger ones at all.  Best bet would be to ask a professional.  edited to add that I wouldn't give it to them unless they absolutely need it.

celticreverie

Kids who need it (such as those with ADD, ADHD, or other disorders that can interfere with sleep) yes it's safe.

For an infant, I wouldn't recommend it. Melatonin is used to help produce seratonin which will help babies/kids/adults sleep. It shouldn't be given when unnecessary.

Does she do it to get them to fall asleep because she's lazy?

2gud2btrue

i dont know about infants but my son took it as a toddler. 

Swtmama62205
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM

lol okay totaly dumb questions but what is melatonin

mom_of_2_in_ny
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM

My friend gives her son Melatonin. She said it's supposed to help you sleep better. He son is autistic and he is very active, so it helps relax him for the night and get a good nights sleep. 

See:   http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview

MomX04
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Quoting Swtmama62205:

lol okay totaly dumb questions but what is melatonin

It helps you sleep, your body usually makes enough of it to do the trick but if it doesn't this can help.  I gave it to my oldest for a while because he was scared to fall asleep because of his seizures, he was afraid he wouldn't wake up.

celticreverie
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Your body has its own internal clock that controls your natural cycle of sleeping and waking hours. In part, your body clock controls how much melatonin your body makes. Normally, melatonin levels begin to rise in the mid- to late evening, remain high for most of the night, and then drop in the early morning hours.

Light affects how much melatonin your body produces. During the shorter days of the winter months, your body may produce melatonin either earlier or later in the day than usual. This change can lead to symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), or winter depression.1

Natural melatonin levels slowly drop with age. Some older adults make very small amounts of it or none at all.

Why is melatonin used as a dietary supplement?

Melatonin supplements are sometimes used to treat jet lag or sleep problems (insomnia). Scientists are also looking at other good uses for melatonin, such as:

• Treating seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
  • Helping to control sleep patterns for people who work night shifts.
  • Preventing or reducing problems with sleeping and confusion after surgery.
  • Reducing chronic cluster headaches.

It may be that melatonin, when taken as a supplement, can stop or slow the spread of cancer, make the immune system stronger, or slow down the aging process. But these areas need more research.

Melatonin is also being studied to see if it can be used to treat sleep problems in people who are blind.2 Since these people cannot see light, they may have sleep problems such as sleeping during the day and being awake at night.

Is taking a melatonin dietary supplement safe?

In most cases, melatonin supplements are safe in low doses for short-term and long-term use. But be sure to talk with your doctor about taking them.

Children and pregnant or nursing women should not take melatonin without talking to a doctor first.

Melatonin does have side effects. But they will go away when you stop taking the supplement. Side effects include:

• Sleepiness.
  • Changes in blood vessels that may affect blood flow.
  • Lower body temperature.
  • Stomach problems.
  • Headache.
  • Morning grogginess.
  • Vivid dreams.

If melatonin makes you feel drowsy, do not drive or operate machinery when you are taking it.

During health exams, tell your doctor if you are taking melatonin. And tell your doctor if you are having trouble sleeping (insomnia), since it may be related to a medical problem.

In adults, melatonin is taken in doses from 0.2 to 20.0 mg, based on the reason for its use. The right dose varies widely from one person to another. Talk to your doctor to learn the right dosage and to find out if melatonin is right for you.

MissKrystal
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

My pedi told me to use benadryl for my kids-I have a dd that had to take benadryl a while back and it wound her up instead of making her sleepy, which is fine, I gave it to her in the am, but then she started having to take it at night too, so the dr suggested giving her melatonin to help her sleep. It works great and comes in super small doses, so I feel safe giving it to her every now and then. Started about 2 years old and she is 9 now. Obviously it isn't every night, but when she needs it, I have it on hand.

abbymomof1
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM

well the 6yr old and 10yr old are  ADD. but she gives it to the others so they can go to sleep with out a hassle. like the baby is soooo whiny all day( i think it is because she is not on baby food or table food just 4oz of formula) but she is even harder to get to sleep so she gives her the melatonin to get her to sleep. she says it is safe because she bought it at the health food store.

edit. she gives it to all of them to get them to sleep because she says it usually takes her 1-2hrs to get them to sleep with the melatonin it takes like 30min or less.

Quoting celticreverie:

Kids who need it (such as those with ADD, ADHD, or other disorders that can interfere with sleep) yes it's safe.

For an infant, I wouldn't recommend it. Melatonin is used to help produce seratonin which will help babies/kids/adults sleep. It shouldn't be given when unnecessary.

Does she do it to get them to fall asleep because she's lazy?

check out my  daughters myspace page. it is for people to get to know a little about her and what a beautiful baby girl she was before she went home to rest with God.    
 www.myspace.com/joslynnsky

Swtmama62205
by on Oct. 27, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Okay another question.  I have a two year old who takes HOURS to get to sleep...im talking 2-3 hours...even with no nap....and then gets up in the middle of the night for another hour and just cries and whines.  Would you recommend it for this situation? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)