Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a q for black women/hair dressers/people that know about hair and relaxers vs perms!!!

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:06 AM
  • 10 Replies

me and my black guy friend are arguing over what a hair relaxer does and what a perm does.

i think that a hair relaxer is a product (that you can buy at the store) and you put it on your hair and it makes your hair straighter and "looser" if you will.  it doesn't make it pin straight, it makes it easier to flat iron it.

he says it makes it pin straight.

i say a PERM makes your hair pin straight, but a licensed professional has to do that for you.

so either help me out or prove me wrong please! thanks!

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meghan925
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:09 AM
Hey someone white could know this! I don't but don't limit your post calling only to black people.

Im a proud 18 year old mommy to my beautiful 2 year old Alaina Marie

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:09 AM

relaxer does just that it relaxes your hair. Usually when your hair is relaxed they use flat irons and things to make it pin strait. You can buy a hair relaxer at a hair store or even at walmart now. lol I don't know much about perms I always thought that was for white hair and made it curly.

1sttime_mommy2b
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:10 AM

Well, I am pastey white unfortunately... but i do have super curly hair.  I have you relaxers and straighteners... they are wonderful, but just make the curls not so tight.  they do not make your hair stick straight.

jambalover

Quoting misssy2000:

relaxer does just that it relaxes your hair. Usually when your hair is relaxed they use flat irons and things to make it pin strait. You can buy a hair relaxer at a hair store or even at walmart now. lol I don't know much about perms I always thought that was for white hair and made it curly.

well you can get your hair permenantely straight or perm curly.   if you want it curly you put rollers in it.  if you want it straight you comb it through.

atleast that's what i always thought

K.a.C.87

i agree!

a relaxer is called a relaxer if bought at walmart or done in the salons.

Quoting misssy2000:

i am a 21 year old Wisconsin mama to my precious daughter, Eliahna Maree, loving fiance to lee, pregnant with our little boy!! (1.26.10) Bryant Allen. Disposible diapering, ERFing, breastfeeding, NON-CIO, Vaxing mommy turned to NON-VAXing!

visit our family at -- http://nichclem07.blogspot.com/

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:10 AM

lol, so true many white people have african american kids, also the best braider in my high school was white, she was a foster kid and her foster family since she was a baby was AA.

Quoting meghan925:

Hey someone white could know this! I don't but don't limit your post calling only to black people.

jambalover
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:12 AM

haha true!!!!  thanks!!  i changed the title.  but i bet you anything he would believe a black woman more than a white woman.  after all, i'm a white woman and he doesn't believe me!

Quoting misssy2000:

lol, so true many white people have african american kids, also the best braider in my high school was white, she was a foster kid and her foster family since she was a baby was AA.

Quoting meghan925:

mom23luvs
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:13 AM

I thought perms made your hair curly?? I'm not black but I have had a perm before and it made my hair super-curly :)  Unfortunately they stink when it is being done,lol. But that sucker lasted almost two years through trims and washings!!

aj23
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Quoting jambalover:

Quoting misssy2000:

well you can get your hair permenantely straight or perm curly.   if you want it curly you put rollers in it.  if you want it straight you comb it through.

atleast that's what i always thought

You're right. You can make your hair straight with a perm. It has most of the same ingredients as a straightener does.
Ammonium thioglycolate is the main ingredient  in a permanent and it will cause the hair to hold whatever shape or style it is while it sets.

jambalover
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Quoting mom23luvs:

I thought perms made your hair curly?? I'm not black but I have had a perm before and it made my hair super-curly :)  Unfortunately they stink when it is being done,lol. But that sucker lasted almost two years through trims and washings!!

it only gets PERManently curly cuz they put it in rollers when the chemical is in your hair.   if they comb it through your hair it makes it PERManently straight.

(again, this is just what i thought.  i cant wait till a hairdresser responds!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)