Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what makes getting welfare, foodstamps/snaps, or wic okay to you?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:09 AM
  • 392 Replies

i am not giving my opinion, i will say i am on wic and medicaid and am about to apply for foodstamps.

what kind of income should one have to get these things? what kind of life should they have? i'm just wondering what is acceptable. i know a LOT of people who lie to get these things.

like my fiance has a part time job, i am unemployed, and i have a 2 month old and we don't have the money for daycare, if we did we'd be working to pay for it, and besides that i would never put her in daycare because the ones around here are NO GOOD. he makes minimum wage, and we live with my parents who don't help us, they just don't want to put their grandbaby out on the streets.

edit: fiance is also a full time student and i plan on starting school next year, some how

second edit: we plan on being self sufficient once fiance is out of college and has a job.
the reason i made this post is to see if people think that people like me and fiance deserve this help.
i'm also thinking of applying for welfare so that we can move out, it's unbearable here. what do you guys think? don't be afraid to tell me no (doubt anyone has a problem doing that lol) this is somewhat new stuff to me.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:09 AM
Replies (1-10):
2gud2btrue
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:12 AM

it makes it ok for me if the state says you financially qualify.  im not ok with lying to qualify but otherwise the rest is not my business. 

prayingforsnow
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:18 AM

If a person/family honestly meets the set qualifications, then "it's okay" and they need the help, imo. The income varies from location to location since the standard of living is different. I personally like to see families who use aid as a stepping stone towards self-sufficiency, but I realize that for some, getting their head above water is much easier said than done. But children deserve the help always, and adults who obey the law, follow the rules, and meet the written and unwritten standards for welfare should be able to get it.

IMO, it's a case-by-case basis type of situation.

"Ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything- that's how the light gets in." -Leonard Cohen
Joylynn77
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:19 AM

I'm on all those things, too. I used to drive a brand new car, and was buying a home, when the money ran out and bankrupcy set in. I live in a trailer and have a cheap car now, and can't afford to work!

If you earn less than what you need to survive, regardless of how or where you live, then you need help! I think one would do well to live within their means, to the best of their ability, and be satisfied with the 'bare necessities'. If you're on food stamps and are still spending your own money on frivolous crap, then you don't need government handouts, what you need is a financial counselor!

katiexoxo
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:35 AM

thanks for the opinions so far!

bumppp 

katiexoxo
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:41 AM

bumpppppppppppp 

cuddlebunnymom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:44 AM

I would have to say yes and no.  I would say that if you are able to work then you should be working.  I say yes because i know it's hard raising kids on nothing.  I've got 2 and have NEVER been able to get any kind of state help except for WIC and medicad.  I had never applied for food stamps or any other because I never thought I would need it.  I am not saying you will be this person but when i see someone in the grocery store that is able to have 2 carts full of groceries and also be buying a big screen TV it makes me sick!!!!  The money for these programs come from people that are paying taxes and most people on the programs are not working for many different reasons.  I can understand yours you are not wanting your child in a bad place but i'm sure you would be able to find someone else watch your child for little to no cost such as family member or really close friend so that you would be able to work as well.  I am barely able to get food in my house but I was told with what i make i have to have 6 people living in my house to be able to qualify.  But anyway that is sort of a little rant from me and sorry but I would say as long as you don't abuse the system and use it just to get back on your feet then it would be ok.

Sodagirl7
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:44 AM

I would say you qualify. I dont have a problem with seeing people like you and me have the link card or wic, its the people who come through my lines at work ( i cashier) with cart loads of stuff, are wearing expenive brand clothes, have name brand shoes and that coach, gucci, or huge Kathy purse , just all decked out and then whip out the link card. Maybe i just dont understand but i cant even get the link card because the standard is so low, i dont see how they can afford all that expensive stuff but still get the link card. something tells me its not right. 

YoungMommy182
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:45 AM

I really don't see what's wrong with it. There are alot of stuck up people that are always saying they would never get foodstamps or wic or etc.! I personally am on WIC, Foodstamps, and Medicaid for the kids. My DF gets paid $9 an hour & a full time student.. and I don't work. Not because i don't want to but just because no one hires me! lol .... anyway, if you qualify.... Why not? all the money you spend on milk, food, etc you get it free.... btw my DF monthly gross income is $1,500 and we qualify...

manderjane
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:50 AM

I was on Medicaid with my first son because I got pregnant while in college and had broken up with my ex.  I had no money, barely a place to live (moved back in with my family.)  I had no insurance.  I was at the lowest point I'd ever been at in my life.  I had no other option than to get Medicaid and do what I could. 

With my second (I was with my husband, my then boyfriend), I was on Medicaid because I got pregnant after starting a new job.  The job offered excellent health care benefits, but unfortunately, I didn't sign up in the open enrollment timeframe so I had to wait a year.  I hated having to sign up for it but couldn't afford the out of pocket expenses.  Looking back, I could have went through a midwife instead of an OBGYN for a fraction of the cost. 

Both of my children were given Medicaid the first year of their life by the state.  (I guess in Florida, at least, that's the going timeframe.)  I could have reapplied at a year, but decided to add them to my health insurance because I could stand it financially.

I had WIC with my first child because I couldn't afford much food, even with help from family members.  I had foodstamps during my first pregnancy for about six months.  I never received cash assistance, though I could have used it. 

I'll say this.  If you need it, get it.  THAT IS WHAT IT'S THERE FOR.  If you don't, don't.  People tht take advantage of the system ruin it for all of the honest people who really need help.  :/

eay137
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:50 AM

Quoting Sodagirl7:

I would say you qualify. I dont have a problem with seeing people like you and me have the link card or wic, its the people who come through my lines at work ( i cashier) with cart loads of stuff, are wearing expenive brand clothes, have name brand shoes and that coach, gucci, or huge Kathy purse , just all decked out and then whip out the link card. Maybe i just dont understand but i cant even get the link card because the standard is so low, i dont see how they can afford all that expensive stuff but still get the link card. something tells me its not right. 

shh

Drug dealers.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)