Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Size matters - why to circumcise

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:29 AM
  • 134 Replies

Size matters when it comes to AIDS defense Reuters By Reuters - Wed Oct 28, 10:17 PM PDT WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Men with larger foreskins are more likely to become infected with the AIDS virus, researchers said Wednesday in a finding that helps explain why circumcision can protect men. The study of 965 men in Uganda, all without AIDS at the start, showed those with larger foreskins were more likely to become infected. Infection rates correlated with the size of the foreskin, Dr. Godfrey Kigozi of Johns Hopkins University's Rakai Health Sciences Program in Uganda and colleagues found. "Mean foreskin surface area was significantly higher among men who acquired HIV," they wrote in the journal AIDS. Several studies have shown that circumcision -- removal of the foreskin -- can protect men, but not their female sex partners, from HIV. It does not completely prevent infection but reduces the risk. Researchers believe the foreskin has many immune cells called dendritic cells, which may provide a route into the body for the virus. Kigozi's team looked at men getting circumcised for one of the studies in Uganda. "The surface area of the foreskin was measured after surgery using standardized procedures," they wrote.

I have been saying this for years and every STD researcher I have ever heard from says the same. The extra skin that un circ'd males posess makes them more likely to catch nasty things.. how you ask? Not just the folds of skin collecting germs (although that is part of it) but also miniscule tears that are common and everyday occurances for men with larger foreskin allow the infection a way in and a nice warm place to breed and grow.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Turb0Happy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:31 AM

sleep

Ashleighrose
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:38 AM
How ignorant
retsillacam
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:42 AM

cue the anti circ mom with info to contradict this one LOL. There is no reliable info on why to circ or not to. It all depends on who you talk to and where their stance is.

sugaredempathy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:47 AM

You do know that this is a bunch of bullshit, right?

Shame on you for spreading false information.

Happily Married, Pro Breastfeeding, Pro Babywearing, Co-Sleeping, Anti-Circ, Anti-Vax, Organic Lovin', Pro Gay Rights, Anti-Organised Religion, Pro Life Stay At Home Mommy

Buyer Beware! Genital Reduction Surgery isn't in the best interest of anyone! Babies are born perfect; the foreskin is not a birth defect. Help save babies from unecessary pain and violation.

Devory
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Maybe the guys with longer foreskin just enjoy sex more, so they are more likely to get an STD!

rolling on floor

I'm a Natural Birthing, Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, NoCIO, Babywearing, AP Loving Mama of my Lil Bit!

DejaVooDoo
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:53 AM

That study was done in "Uganda".  Not in the US, and not any other westernized country.  Africa is rife with HIV/AIDS.  PLUS in some areas of Uganda, there is scarce availability to clean water and sanitization is low. 

Of course men in a third world country are going to be less than sanitary WITH or WITHOUT a foreskin.  Of course there is going to be higher instances of HIV/AIDS.

The problem with AIDS in Uganda is that they concentrate on treatment of the condition, rather than preventative measures.  It is rising because there is lack of proper treatment.  So of course it is going to spread.

Correlation of HIV/AIDS to the foreskin in Uganda does not mean causation in other countries.  And when I see articles like this, that do not give in depth data behind the statistical survey - By all means it is tainted.

I am personally against circumcision (for my own).  I say whatever floats your boat with your kids.  We all do what is best for our own children regardless.  If you want to circumcise, then go for it.  For me, it comes down to teaching my son proper hygiene and how to take care of himself.  He has never had a health problem with it, and already knows the importance of cleaning his body parts.  There is nothing nasty, or non hygienic about having a foreskin.  It all comes down to how it is looked after.  And that also applies to circumcized men.

mammapickle
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:55 AM

In this country, in this day and age, even if this is true, i think we have enough precautions available to combat aids and other stds. as for the tears and germ issues you mentioned, my boyfriend is uncut and goes thru it, it's not a big deal, and i think if he wasnt diabetic with everything that comes with, it would be no deal at all.

DejaVooDoo
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:55 AM

LMAO!

Quoting Devory:

Maybe the guys with longer foreskin just enjoy sex more, so they are more likely to get an STD!

rolling on floor

Angelbluewingsz
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 6:58 AM

Since the AIDS epidemic is running rampant in Africa it makes sense to test the theories there right? But still , they are saying the same thing most US researchers have been saying for years! I suppose though (although I cannot possible see it in the circ debate) that there has got to be some other way for people in any subject to twist info to fit their views no matter what side of the fence they stand on.   Either way, use a condom dangit!

Angelbluewingsz
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Even without diabetes, intact men tear often- if they are with a partner who is infected  they are more likely to catch a disease/ infection than a circ'd male. I would prefer if everyone would use a condom but uncut men seem to have more difficulty with that as well.

Quoting mammapickle:

In this country, in this day and age, even if this is true, i think we have enough precautions available to combat aids and other stds. as for the tears and germ issues you mentioned, my boyfriend is uncut and goes thru it, it's not a big deal, and i think if he wasnt diabetic with everything that comes with, it would be no deal at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)