Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alright ladies, need some ideas for lunches....

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:39 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hubby started his shore duty tour today.... yeah! Anyway, it's not like when he was on the ship and would eat breakfast and lunch there. He's going to be able to come home for lunch on some days but I would like to be able to send him off with a lunch just in case he can't get home. So for those of you who make lunches to go for your hubby's or SO any ideas would be great outside of the normal sandwich. It would be really helpful is there are ideas for a lunch that he doesn't have to be refrigerated just in case he's on the road during lunch. Thanks in advance....

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:52 AM

I'm no help with any that don't need to be kept cold. Go to Walmart and get him a small lunch box with some gel packs for when he is on the go. I have tons of recipes  I am more than happy to share if you want. What do you guys like? I have the easiest and best chicken recipe ever. Everytime I make it for someone they want the recipe and the leftovers lol

Chicken Breasts (I use 4 since there are 4 of us)

1 cup Zesty Italian Dressing

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese

Put just enough dressing in the bottom of the pan to coat the bottom (prevent sticking)

put chicken in and cover with 1 cup dressing. Bake at 350 degrees until done (usually about 45-60 minutes) remove chicken and add sour cream and cheese. Pour over Chicken.

Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Casserole

3 Chicken Breasts - cooked and cubed
1 pound penne pasta - cooked and drained
1 pint heavy whipping cream
black pepper to taste
1 cup cubed cooked Black Forest Ham
1 cup grated Swiss Cheese
Parmesan Cheese - one half cup
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh grated Pecorino Romano

Heat whipping cream in heavy saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Add parmesan cheese and black pepper to taste and cook over low heat until sauce thickens. Add chicken, ham and penne pasta. Place in casserole dish and top with parsley and Pecorino Romano cheese. Bake in oven at 350 until hot.

4 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
2 teaspoons
Seasoning for Tacos
8 ounces cream cheese
1 tablespoon minced chives, optional
7 ounce can Green Mexican Salsa
4 ounce can chopped green chiles
6 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
4 green onions, chopped...

Cooking Instructions
Grease an 11x7" baking pan. Put the chicken in the pan and toss with the taco seasoning to coat. Soften the cream cheese and whisk well with the chives and green sauce in a medium bowl. Stir in the chiles. Pour the sauce evenly over chicken. You can mix it in if you like, but it's not necessary. Top with the cheese. Bake at 350º 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with the green onions.

Greek Style Burgers 

Mint, yogurt, and feta cheese provide the flavors of Greece in these easy and delicious grilled burgers.

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

·1 lb. lean ground beef

·2 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion

·1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves

·1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

·1/2 tsp. salt

·1/8 tsp. white pepper

·2 garlic cloves, minced

·1 cup plain yogurt

·1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill weed

·1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint leaves

·salt and pepper to taste

·tomato slices

·thin cucumber slices

·pita bread  (low carb, whole wheat or regular)

Prepare and heat grill. In large bowl, combine ground beef, onion, oregano, feta, salt, pepper, and garlic and mix gently. Shape into 4 patties and refrigerate while preparing sauce.
In small bowl, combine yogurt, dill, mint, and salt and pepper to taste and mix. Refrigerate while cooking burgers.  

Cook patties 4-6" from medium coals for 13-15 minutes until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center, turning once. Serve in pita breads with tomato and cucumber slices and yogurt sauce. 4 sandwiches  

Bacon Cheeseburger Bites

1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
2 Green Onions, diced
2 cloves Garlic, diced
5 Eggs
1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup Bruschetta Sauce, drained (I used Trader Joe's but Contadina or Buitoni make one too)
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/2 cup Crumbled Browned Ground Beef
4 slices Cooked Bacon, crumbled

Cook bacon and crumble. Set aside. Brown ground beef, drain any fats. Set aside. Saute onions till golden. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Set aside to cool. Mix all ingredients together. Be sure meat & onions have cooled slightly before adding eggs. Spoon into lightly greased
mini muffin tins. Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Makes 24.

•·         Cheeseburger Casserole 

1-1.5 lbs of Ground Beef 

3 cups of Pancake Mix 

1 1/4 cups Shredded Cheese (Assorted) 

First turn the oven onto WARM. This is important. Otherwise it doesn't turn out quite right. 

Spray Casserole Pan with Non-Stick Cooking Spray (obviously but hey I forget sometimes) 

Mix Pancake Mix with recommended amount of Water/Milk, you want it to be a little bit thick, if it isn't don't worry that's why the oven is on Warm. Pour mix into casserole dish, make sure entire bottom is covered, place in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. 

Preheat Oven to 350 

Brown ground beef, I recommend seasoning it. We use Sazon seasoning, or chili pepper, sometimes just plain black pepper. 

Drain beef, do not rinse, in fact if there's a little bit of grease left in there, that's a plus. 

Spread beef liberally into casserole pan, it's okay if it sinks down, it's just seasoning the bottom, makes it tastier. 

Spread shredded cheese very liberally atop the beef. We usually use Mozzerella, Mexican and Cheddar all mixed together or in layers. 

Cover casserole dish with foil, bake at 350 for 8 minutes, remove foil and bake an addtional 7-10 minutes 

If you are using a glass pan you can tell it's finished by checking the bottom, should be a solid golden brown. If you are using a metal pan, the bake time is a same, just stick a fork or knife down the middle, it should come back with only cheese stuck on it. 

Let cool five minutes, cut and serve 

Feeds 8 

Now you can top this casserole with another layer of pancake mix, it's heavier this way, so there's no need for sides. You use and addtional 2 cups of pancake mix that you place on top of the cheese before covering with foil, and you bake covered for 10 minutes, then an additional 12-15. If you do it this way it's a good idea to put some garlic butter on top once fully baked, that flavor is ridiculous. 

Crockpot - Pizza Chicken

8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 chopped onion
2 green bell peppers, cut into 1" pieces
2 c. jarred pizza sauce
1 c. shredded pizza cheese

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
Place in a 3 - 4 quart crockpot/slow cooker.
Top with the onions and bell pepper.
Pour the pizza sauce over all.
Cover and cook on low for 4 - 5 hours, until chicken
is thoroughly cooked.
Stir well.
Sprinkle with cheese and let stand 5 minutes to melt cheese.

Makes 8 servings.

Chicken Adobo

5-6 chicken breasts
worshershire sauce
red wine vinegar
soy sauce

Pour equal parts of sauces over chicken. Cook on Low overnight

•·         Salsa Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
The recipe is adapted from a popular one here on Crock Pot Moms, but I added an extra step and turned it into enchiladas. I hope you enjoy!

1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
16 oz. jar thick and chunky salsa
1/2 pkg. chicken taco seasoning
8 oz. brick cream cheese, room temperature
10-12 corn tortillas
Shredded cheese
Spray the inside of crock pot with cooking spray and add chicken. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken. Pour salsa over top. Cook on high/low at least 6 hours. About 30 minutes before you finish cooking remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Stir softened cream cheese into sauce in the crock pot. Set aside about 1/2 cup sauce. Return chicken to crock pot and allow to finish cooking. Spread half of reserved sauce onto bottom of a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Spoon chicken mixture into tortillas and roll. Place seam side down in baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce and any leftover chicken mixture over top of enchiladas. Cover with foil and bake at 350
degrees 20-30 minutes or until hot through. Remove foil and sprinkle cheese over top. Bake uncovered 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.

• Thai Chicken
  • 1 - package of chicken tenders.  Cook 20-min at 425 degrees.  Let cool.

Thai-style marinade (not spicy):

Coleslaw (you can get prepackaged in the lettuce section)

1 - tbs. of honey

1 - tsp. of  minced garlic

1/4-1/2 cup of red peppers (chopped) 

1 - tbs. of soy sauce

1 - tsp. of fresh ginger root, minced. 

1 - freshly squeezed lime

1/4 cup of fresh cilantro leaves (chop them and omit the stems)

Shred or chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces.  Add chopped red pepper and 2 or so cups of that ready-made cole slaw that comes in the bag.  Mix it all together and serve.

Sign by Danasoft - SURPRISE! I found you!
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:52 AM

My computer is having issues!! The ones I posted are all ones you can make ahead of time and reheat well :)

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Thank you!. I didn't even think about getting him a cooler... duh, what could be more obvious. LOL. Thanks for all of the recipes. I'm going to read through them right now.

Quoting All4you:

My computer is having issues!! The ones I posted are all ones you can make ahead of time and reheat well :)

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:56 AM

If you need anymore or want anything specific PM me. I love to cook and have a ton of recipes saved on the computer and I love looking them up finding new ones!!!

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:58 AM

lol... will do! He's going to love those greek burgers.

Quoting All4you:

If you need anymore or want anything specific PM me. I love to cook and have a ton of recipes saved on the computer and I love looking them up finding new ones!!!

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:11 AM

since its winter, I usually will make some soups and chili, put them in a thermos for him.  I do burritos, leftovers, chilli dogs.  salads (mostly during summertime).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)