Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need opinions before its too late

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:41 AM
  • 23 Replies

Ok... day 6 of potty trainng my soon to be 3 yr. old. We've had him in undies since Saturday all day during the day with a diaper on only at night. He still refuses to pee and poop. He pooped once but that's only because I plopped him on the toilet in front of the TV and then he will pee when I make him sit and he has to... sometimes he will sit and get up and 3 minutes later be wet.

I've read not to punish them but I was thinking of putting him in his sisters crib every time he went in his pants and reward him with candy(real treat cause I never give it) when he goes.

I want advice from people who have potty trained, not theoretical advice from someone who has never done it.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:45 AM

The candy is a good idea get a bag of MnMs that works great. I never rewarded any of my six for doing right with more than a hug and what a big girl/boy.  I wuld NOT suggest the sitting in front of the TV thing

I would suggest sitting in the bathroom and reading to him while you wait

catwalksymphony
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Have you tried leaving him naked and leaving the potty in the living room so it's easy to access?

I would NOT suggest punishment. It doesn't work, their brains don't connect the situation, they remember going potty, not where or why or any of that. The punishment seems like a connection to the action, not where the action was done... it circumvents the procedure. (I learned this the hard way, sadly)  

lunapic-beans.gif picture by CourtneyLynn_018

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Your right on with taht one

Quoting catwalksymphony:

Have you tried leaving him naked and leaving the potty in the living room so it's easy to access?

I would NOT suggest punishment. It doesn't work, their brains don't connect the situation, they remember going potty, not where or why or any of that. The punishment seems like a connection to the action, not where the action was done... it circumvents the procedure. (I learned this the hard way, sadly)  

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM

He is too active to listen to me read... he never has been the type to sit still but I'll try it. I reward him with hugs and kisses and laughs for just about everything so that wouldn't make as big of an impact if it were coupled with a treat.

The main thing I am concerned about is putting him in time out in his sisters crib to show him he is acting like a baby. I'm not going to do it out of anger but explain to him.

Quoting mamafor6:

The candy is a good idea get a bag of MnMs that works great. I never rewarded any of my six for doing right with more than a hug and what a big girl/boy.  I wuld NOT suggest the sitting in front of the TV thing

I would suggest sitting in the bathroom and reading to him while you wait

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Like to clean? Need to clean? Join my group!

Getting Clean & Staying Clean!

mamafor6
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:53 AM

You could also try the potty chart Let HIM put a sticker on every time he goes in the potty.

Dont forget to make it a big deal lots of attenion hugs kisses and praise for going in the potty and ignore him when he pees or poops on the floor.

But you MUST be vigilant and watch his every move If he pees tell him right away thats not where we pee and sit him on te pot. Then he may corrolate the two

jenny198356
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:55 AM

My daughter didnt totally finish potty training til about 3-1/2. She will be 4 in two months and still has the occasional accident. We tried potty training at 18 mos and then again at 2, she just wasnt ready. She was doing great in all other learning abilities, just not that one thing. As frustrating as it was, I just had to wait until she was ready. The saying holds true for us that if they arent ready, you are just wasting your time. She would have screaming fits about having to wear panties and using the potty. The day she actually trained herself, she just said I want to go to the potty and pee...I said Okay...and she went all by herself...I just thought she was joking...lol. It will happen, but it is a process and using punishment is not the way to get it done. He will associate the punishment with the potty and then not want to go at all.

Tea4Tas
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I potty trained 4 children-their ages ranged from 2 years to yep almost 4 years.

My best advice? If you try for say a week, and it doesn't work-go back to the diapers, buy some special boxers for him , and tell him when he is ready-he can wear them.

It's SO SO SO easy when they are ready to potty train. And so damned hard when they don't want to!

My youngest son potty trained in ONE day.  I tried and gave up a few times-then one morning he said-I want underwear today-and that was IT.

No fussing, no rewards, no hovering. Easy as that. He was 2 and a half.

northernmommy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Maybe he's not ready to potty train yet? Has he expressed an interest in going on the potty? my oldest didn't potty train until he was 3 1/2 and from what i understand that is pretty normal.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Cecilias_mommy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:00 AM

my dd took 4 days, gummy bears worked for me n me getting like overly excited lol

the first time i tried which was a month b4 the 4 days i tried the naked, the panties, the like plastic panties, lol adn pullups non of them worked she didnt really wanna sit on the potty but i stopped gave her a few weeks and tried again and the pooping took a few accidents cause she didnt want to sit down n try to poop so i will give her a little bowl of like crackers or pretzels or rasins just a little snack so shell sit there n then she ends up going.... too much pressure on pooping tho can cause constipation and that makes it even harder..... have you  tried havin dad show him maybe how to pee on a cheerio or something???? i kept takin my dd in the bathroom n tellin her what i was doing and lettin her flush for me

pregnancy week by week

my4kids274
by Drill Sergeant Mommy on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I agree with this...

Quoting catwalksymphony:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)