Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you...(s/o and debate! woohoo!)

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:49 AM
  • 92 Replies

Circumsize your daughter, if the procedure were offered here in the U.S.? The vast majority of mothers who circ their sons cite that they fear for ridicule and want to offer cleanliness, and want to avoid it happening later on in life.

So, if it were a practice that was offered here, in the united states, would you have your newborn daughter's labia removed? Why, or why not? If not, and you would circ your son, how do you see it differing?

-Let's have a nice, clean debate. I'm truly interested in the arguments behind this.-

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I don't see this as being a clean debate.

I just wanted to ask why there's such a big to do about what goes on in babies' pants?  Isn't that kind of.....not right?

lyranightshade
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:51 AM

No one? Aww, shucks, I  thought this would be a good topic to debate on.

isra1986
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM

No, because the reasons I am going to circ my sons are religious. There is no religious requirement to circ a girl.

Playschool Preschool Group- Chat tonight at 9 p.m. Eastern time!

lyranightshade
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:53 AM

You know, Jill, I've never understood that, myself. I'm concerned with my son because I want what's best for him. But I'm not really concerned with what other parents do. So many mothers seem to, though, and I was wondering their reasons. I do believe it's silly to attribute a higher risk for contracting aids to a foreskin, though. I thought you had to have sex to catch AIDS, but.. once again, CM has proven my miniscule intellect wrong!

Quoting jillbailey26:

I just wanted to ask why there's such a big to do about what goes on in babies' pants?  Isn't that kind of.....not right?

lyranightshade
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Very understandable! You want to pass on religious tradition, rather than other, more clinical reasons. That, I get, Isra.

Quoting isra1986:

No, because the reasons I am going to circ my sons are religious. There is no religious requirement to circ a girl.

Angela_1974
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I would never circ a girl. I had to circ my son for medical reasons, if not for that he wouldn't be. I went a head and circ'ed my 2nd son because i didn't to have medical problems later. In other words to keep from having medical problems.

I would never ever circ a girl. There is a big difference. With boys , yes medical problems do arise and someitmes the have to be. i have never heard of a medical problem for a girl to have to be circ'ed.

lyranightshade

Bump! I'd love to have a good debate going! Pros, cons, and inbetweens!

Cecilias_mommy

um first off ouch lol i dont even wanna imagine a female circ lol..... If I have a boy Im definitely considering circing him hubby is n sd hed want the kid to be, but i dont think i would even consider (if offered) to circ my dd when she was born.... I dont see it necessary for a girl to have her labia removed if anything id thing it helps protect the area a little lol.... I mean theres been a lot of research that says circumcision is good and that its bad you might have a hot topic on ur hands here lol

pregnancy week by week

lyranightshade
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Vaginal adhesions are a common problem in young girls. I had them, so I know. In order to fix them, they take a long wooden swab and physically seperate the labia in one quick swoop. They rip your skin apart. I had to have my hymen surgically removed at the age of seven. There ARE medical problems that could be prevented with a circ. Your clitoris is still intact, so you will still have feeeling. Just no labia to protect it.

Quoting Angela_1974:

I would never circ a girl. I had to circ my son for medical reasons, if not for that he wouldn't be. I went a head and circ'ed my 2nd son because i didn't to have medical problems later. In other words to keep from having medical problems.

I would never ever circ a girl. There is a big difference. With boys , yes medical problems do arise and someitmes the have to be. i have never heard of a medical problem for a girl to have to be circ'ed.

jillbailey26
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:00 AM

That's what I was wonder, why are so many mothers concerned?  It's our own kids we need to worry about.  I can guarantee that if little Johnny was doing something he wasn't supposed to and I told him to stop, his mother would come screaming at me to mind my own business.  I don't see why it should change in the decisions we make.

I can understand sharing information, but to tell someone that they're wrong for the decision they've made completely baffles me.

Quoting lyranightshade:

You know, Jill, I've never understood that, myself. I'm concerned with my son because I want what's best for him. But I'm not really concerned with what other parents do. So many mothers seem to, though, and I was wondering their reasons. I do believe it's silly to attribute a higher risk for contracting aids to a foreskin, though. I thought you had to have sex to catch AIDS, but.. once again, CM has proven my miniscule intellect wrong!

Quoting jillbailey26:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)