Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you gave birth in 2005 :

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:22 PM
  • 6 Replies

Did you know?

If you had your baby in a United States hospital in 2005:

• There’s a 1 in 3 chance you had cesarean surgery.
  • There’s less than a 2% chance that you experienced a package of evidence-based care practices known to ease labor and prevent complications.
  • You most likely were separated from your baby during the first hour after giving birth.
  • There’s a 1 in 5 chance (1 in 4 if you are black) that you had symptoms of childbirth-related post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in the months after giving birth.
  • There’s a 7% chance you had to be rehospitalized before your baby was 18 months old.

http://blogs.drgreene.com/perspectives/2009/10/29/expecting-more/#more-1801
(Written by Amy Romano, a local midwife, as well as professional writer and researcher in Transparency in childbirth and Maternity care)

These data are from a national survey called Listening to Mothers. For years, as a midwife, I’ve listened to mothers ask if there is a healthier way to give birth. Many of them ask this after they’ve already had a baby and been disappointed with or even traumatized by the experience or endured health problems stemming from the care they and their babies got around the time of birth.

Yes, you can and should expect more from your care in pregnancy and birth. And if you’re pregnant again, you can plan for a healthier, safer, and more satisfying birth. But you must actively participate in your care and find a provider who encourages this kind of participation. If passively accepting what our system routinely offers was a good idea, we’d have much better health outcomes, instead of being outranked by nearly every other industrialized nation in the world. In this week’s collection of posts, I will show that our system is not designed to protect and optimize the health of babies and mothers. (Perhaps I’ve already done that. Surely the costliest maternity care system in the world should have better stats than what we see above.) I will also show how empowered, supported women who participate in their care have the healthiest outcomes of all. I’m looking forward to it.

Danielle
ICAN supporter, Cesarean Mother, Natural Birth Advocate, Breastfeeding, Attachment Parenting, Baby wearing, Selectively Vaccinating, Pro Choice, Gay Marriage Supporting, Doula, Aspiring Midwife, Blogging, Loud Mouth, Bitch, Democrat, Stay At Home Mom, Reformed Mormon, Chiropractic Care for Children Supporting, VBAC Supporting, Home Birth Supporting, Radical Mother of Two amazing little boys.
Camden Kent and Benjamin Emil

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MissiHampt
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM

January 12, 2005.....and all but the last two apply to me.

This time is going to be different.  I'm in control of my own body and I know what to expect at the hospital.  I'm prepared to fight for what I want.

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

austynsmama
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:32 PM

all except for the second to last was true for me  april 28th 2005, thats crazy!

cowboygal
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:33 PM

July 13, 2005.  She was born vaginally. She was taken from me but for her tests. She had to be readmitted the next day after we were released for jaundice.  Thank goodness they started 24 hour billirubin testing that summer.   She is a happy 4 year old and very bright now. I never went back to the hospital and I did not have ppd.

This signature is very tall. Try to keep it shorter than this green section.
mom2four1978
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I had a baby in September of 2005, none of the above happened to me. But I am very,very assertive when it comes to giving birth. I have had high risk pregnancies, but I had natural births. My doctor was told me before hand that I wanted it that way.  I can't even begin to imagine the number of times I have said "NO" during a labor, or the number of times DH said it as well.

CTRedSoxMom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM

bump

Danielle
ICAN supporter, Cesarean Mother, Natural Birth Advocate, Breastfeeding, Attachment Parenting, Baby wearing, Selectively Vaccinating, Pro Choice, Gay Marriage Supporting, Doula, Aspiring Midwife, Blogging, Loud Mouth, Bitch, Democrat, Stay At Home Mom, Reformed Mormon, Chiropractic Care for Children Supporting, VBAC Supporting, Home Birth Supporting, Radical Mother of Two amazing little boys.
Camden Kent and Benjamin Emil

babypinkmms
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Only the 2nd and 3rd one  for me   may 4, 05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)