Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BFing Mamas: Got a question!

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:23 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have a 3 week old daughter. I'm exclusively breastfeeding & so far it's been going great! BUT the last 3 days my daughter suddenly decided she's not going to latch on correctly & she seems to pinch me as she's eating... I have high prolactin levels, which lead to a high milk supply, so I'm wondering if she's trying to slow down the milk? I've tried different holds & she still pinches & she's been gagging & choking lately too. I'm not sure what to do so that it's easier on both of us. My boobs are so sore I'm about to die! Any ideas on what it could be or how to fix it?? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!!

Tasha

I'm a breastfeeding, disposable diapering, CIO, babywearing & stroller pushing, pro-vaxing, hardcore Republican, prolife, mary moo moos collecting, pit bull loving, spanking, time-outing,  stay at home mommy of a handsome toddler & gorgeous newborn baby girl.
I'm a coffee making, laundry doing, surrendered & submissive, barefoot & no longer pregnant, cooking from scratch, laying out tomorrow's work clothes kinda housewife to an amazing husband since 04.13.07.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
zjonzie
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:24 PM

if you have a stong let down and she is choking on the milk, you can hand express some first to see if you can help reduce the flow.  i cant think of anything else right now.

avi_nevaeh_mama
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I would try expressing some milk BEFORE feeding her. That way she isn't getting as much all at once. You won't be as engorged so it will be easier for her to eat. You can either do this with a pump or hand expressing. Just to relieve some of the back pressure. Good luck Mama.

Shabaam_CFC
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:26 PM

bump My son does that too, he pinches on one boob but not the other...and he chokes a lot too, hope that if they answer you question they answer mine as well :)

New Mommy to a lovely son Charles (Charlie)

Wifey to my wonderful Husband Ken

and Soldier and SGT in the Army.

mami2five
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Sounds like you are having over active let down. And the milk is coming too fast. I had the same issue with ds #4, and that's what it was. (In fact his ped kept thinking he had reflux because he was fussy while eating, etc.) What I do or did with him was pump for a few minutes before I latched him on, so that way the 'let down' reflex could happen into the bottle, and then I would put him on once I was past that. It worked perfect, and he went back to eating without being so fussy! HTH!

nrich
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Thanks so much ladies! I'm definitely gonna try that! At the current moment, I feel like my nip is gonna fall off, so hopefully it helps!! lol. I really want to continue breast feeding & this is the only issue I've had - so I'm glad that you ladies could help seeing I was starting to get discouraged! THANK YOU!

Tasha

I'm a breastfeeding, disposable diapering, CIO, babywearing & stroller pushing, pro-vaxing, hardcore Republican, prolife, mary moo moos collecting, pit bull loving, spanking, time-outing,  stay at home mommy of a handsome toddler & gorgeous newborn baby girl.
I'm a coffee making, laundry doing, surrendered & submissive, barefoot & no longer pregnant, cooking from scratch, laying out tomorrow's work clothes kinda housewife to an amazing husband since 04.13.07.

mami2five
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Make sure to apply Lanolin to your nipples, it really does work. It almost creates a 'barrier' on them and helps them from being as sore. Also, the pumping before nursing should be a little less painful. Those first few weeks can be a bit frustrating at times! You're doing great!! Good luck!

Quoting nrich:

Thanks so much ladies! I'm definitely gonna try that! At the current moment, I feel like my nip is gonna fall off, so hopefully it helps!! lol. I really want to continue breast feeding & this is the only issue I've had - so I'm glad that you ladies could help seeing I was starting to get discouraged! THANK YOU!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)