Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to quit smoking without gaining weight?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:48 PM
  • 11 Replies

I need to know this because I wanna quit smoking "again" but don't know how to without gaining 40 pounds, lol.  I quit smoking back in May for 8 days.  In that 8 days I gained 20 pounds!!  Now that is also so very unhealthy.  So being saddened by weight gain I picked the habit back up.  In 1 week I lost that 20 pounds just from smoking.  I want to quit tomorrow so I need answers fast.  I was thinking I would just go buy myself some tic tacs but I don't know if that would fend off the food cravings.  If you don't know, please bump.  Thanks ladies!!

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krise
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I quit 2 yrs ago and gained 20 pounds. I knew I was going too. I didn't work out or really watch what I ate. That's what you really need to do. Drink tons of water, will help. 

Humboldt0608
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:55 PM

When I quit when I was pregnant I chewed A LOT of gum. Also, I tried to keep myself as busy as possible. Cleaning helped me out. I would grab a toothbrush or rag and just start scrubbing something until the craving was gone.

JMVITT
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Thanks.  Gaining weight is not an option because I have rid my closet of all my "fat" clothes so I couldn't gain weight.   I don't like water but guess I will have to get to like it, lol. 

Quoting krise:

I quit 2 yrs ago and gained 20 pounds. I knew I was going too. I didn't work out or really watch what I ate. That's what you really need to do. Drink tons of water, will help. 

JMVITT
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Thanks.  I can't chew gum because of some dental work I had done recently so thats why I thought the tic tacs.  But I will do the whole cleaning thing cause lord knows my house needs a good deep cleaning, lol. 

Quoting Humboldt0608:

When I quit when I was pregnant I chewed A LOT of gum. Also, I tried to keep myself as busy as possible. Cleaning helped me out. I would grab a toothbrush or rag and just start scrubbing something until the craving was gone.

johns1_4ever
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Chew gum and find a hobby...

I quit during this pregnancy- and didn't gain any weight. I lost (don't know how that happened). But- I taught myself to crochet and knit. I really helped a lot because when I felt the need to go outside, I had something to keep me busy and I was able to focus on. I took it one craving at a time- and when I quit I was smoking a half a pack to a whole pack a day.

So- my advice is to get a hobby :) Good luck- It's hard- The gum thing works really well too-

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Anytime you find yourself craving a cigarette, get  outside of the house and walk a few blocks- depending on how many times a day this happens, you might just lose weight.

Kristymomof4
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM

This was the advice I was given by the docs. I gained 35 lbs when I quit for 2 mos. 2 yrs ago...

I have recently been trying to quit again...I haven't had a cig since the 5th, but seriously...haha, I have put on about 10 lbs. So I am working hard to nip it in the ass before I gain back all the weight I lost during this deployment.So far the past couple of dasys..so good (well better than the 7, yes 7 pieces of pizza I crammed down my throat last week)

You just have to be vigilant about what you eat, they say that normally you will automatically gain 3-5 lbs just form quitting.

Quoting JulyBabies:

Anytime you find yourself craving a cigarette, get  outside of the house and walk a few blocks- depending on how many times a day this happens, you might just lose weight.

mom2four1978
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM

The water method worked for me and I lost weight once the water weight adjusted. To do the water method you need to get bottled water. Every time you want a cigarette drink a bottle of water instead, not fast, just at a normal pace. The water method works for a few reasons. One your hand is using the same motion as smoking, this helps the psychological barrier. Two, it takes ten minutes for a nicotine craving to pass, it will take you at least that long to drink the water. Three, you are helping to cleanse your body of leftover nicotine, helping you to quit smoking faster. And as an added bonus the water fills you up so that you don't want to eat instead of smoking.

JMVITT
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Ha ha, I wish I would have done this during the summer.  Right now we have about 6 inches of snow, ice and slush...YUCK!  I bought me some tic tacs when I went to town and they seemed to help a lot!!  Thanks for your help and advice though.  Maybe I can dig out the sled and go pull the kids around :) 

Quoting JulyBabies:

JMVITT
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Thanks!  I bought a 24 pack of water today.  Hopefully I can go for it before the Dr Pepper, lol.  I sure hope I can do it this time.  Last time was actually easy to do but I have been so fearful of the gain weight I just haven't found the courage to quit again.  I am gonna quit tonight for sure, hopefully for good!

Quoting mom2four1978:

The water method worked for me and I lost weight once the water weight adjusted. To do the water method you need to get bottled water. Every time you want a cigarette drink a bottle of water instead, not fast, just at a normal pace. The water method works for a few reasons. One your hand is using the same motion as smoking, this helps the psychological barrier. Two, it takes ten minutes for a nicotine craving to pass, it will take you at least that long to drink the water. Three, you are helping to cleanse your body of leftover nicotine, helping you to quit smoking faster. And as an added bonus the water fills you up so that you don't want to eat instead of smoking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)