Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

where does your baby sleep at daycare?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM
  • 26 Replies

I'm a first time mom and don't know anything about daycares. My daughter will start going Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting next week. She will be 8.5wks old. I live in a very small town and there is no daycare just moms that watch kids. Well the only person I  could find to watch her has 3toddlers (2 are hers) and another baby about 4months old. They only place for the babies to sleep is on a mat on the floor. I'm terrified that one of the toddlers will step on her. Her house is a mess (just toys tho) and I'm just nervous.

So what I'm wondering is would you be nervous about them sleeping on the floor. I know some places have naptime mats but that's where they all take a nap at the same time and they aren't babies. As of right now I really don't have a choice in taking her there. I did the best I could keeping her out of daycare til she was 2months but I can't keep her home anymore.

thanks in advance

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mdwright4
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:21 PM

anyone?

Shanamaria
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Ohh no  I would supply a pack and play or something if they dont have one already!  My baby would NOT be on the floor sleeping! 

Joslyns_mommy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM

newborns should not be sleeping on mats and I would be nervous having an infant sleep on one as well. If you do not feel comfortable with your newborn going there... you need to go with your gut. The house should not be a mess even with toys... it is not a house while she has other babies there... it is a business.... no day care (a good one) would be left a mess. I used to work in a 1 yr old class room and I also was a director for after school kids. Is she licenced? If not she could get into trouble depending on the laws in your area. If she has so many kids in her care... she might need a licence.

Good luck

Jacky

http://ourstickybean.blogspot.com/

http://survivingthefirsttrimester.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/stephenandjacky

BethPrice1345
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I wouldn't want her on the floor if she's in the same room as the toddlers. Is the mat in a different location? What does this person do once they start rolling around? Could you maybe find a cheap pack-n-play on craigslist to leave at the sitters?

mushmom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I would not want my infant sleeping on the floor.  A bouncy seat would be better.

iheartmyshaman
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM

My secondborn had to be in daycare for the first two months of her life.   Each daycare is different, but the one I used had decorated...ugh I don't know how to describe it...they were like little bunk-bed cribs built into the walls, each with blankets, ones that babies couldn't crawl out of.  It was completely safe, and when I walked in there and saw all the babies asleep - CUTE!

mdwright4
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I have a pack n play to take over there but I don't know if she has room for it. I know it's dumb but I don't want to be rude. I'm not used to being the mom and being in charge. The mat is in the livingroom so she can watch them

Quoting BethPrice1345:

I wouldn't want her on the floor if she's in the same room as the toddlers. Is the mat in a different location? What does this person do once they start rolling around? Could you maybe find a cheap pack-n-play on craigslist to leave at the sitters?

jensmommy0809
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM

This. Especially at 8.5 wks old.

Quoting Shanamaria:

Ohh no  I would supply a pack and play or something if they dont have one already!  My baby would NOT be on the floor sleeping! 

wedding countdown

mdwright4
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I have a bouncy seat and that would be easier to take over there 2days a wk than the PnP...

Quoting mushmom:

I would not want my infant sleeping on the floor.  A bouncy seat would be better.

AARBelford
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Absolutely NOT! Do not put that baby on the floor! Bring a pack and play. If you don't have one or can't afford one check out Craigslist.com or freecycle.org.......if you explain your situation on freecycle I guarantee someone will help you out for FREE!! There are so many dangerous situations that could arise with your young child sleeping on the floor! Lets be honest, she can't keep her eye on them at all times! Those toddlers WILL step on the baby or throw a toy in dd direction.......or put a blanket on her to "help"...which we all know isn't safe.

So my advice is pack and play......asap!

Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)