Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you get hpv?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:48 PM
  • 48 Replies

is it just from unprotected sex or does that even matter? i read that wearing a condom offers limited protection so how the heck can u try not to get it besides not having sex?

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM

It depends on what type the person has. It can be spread by sharing a drink, by kissing, and many other ways.

mysteriousmom06
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Yeah its an STD so you get it from unprotected sex from an infected partner. A guy can have it & have no symptoms or anything wrong with them, so they may not know if they have it or not.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:50 PM

You can contract it at birth if your mother had it.

You can contract it from sex...even protected.

CAarmywife
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM

that is scary. is there a way to prevent them from getting it at birth? i just found out i have the kind that causes cervical cancer so that is the last thing iwant to give my kids

Quoting LuvmySFSGT:

angieluvsolivia

I worked in an STD clinic for many years and HPV and Herpes can be decieving.  They are spread by skin to skin contact.  Not through body fluids so, even if you use condoms they aren't going to cover the entire genital area therefore you can get it anyway.  To make yourself feel better 50-80% of the worlds poputation carry this disease, most don't know it.

LuvmySFSGT

Quoting CAarmywife:

that is scary. is there a way to prevent them from getting it at birth? i just found out i have the kind that causes cervical cancer so that is the last thing iwant to give my kids

Quoting LuvmySFSGT:

Just let your OB know...there are ways to prevent it.

butterflyblu
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Depends on what type of HPV you are talking about.  There are over 100 different types.  Even common warts such as the type some people get on their hands or feet are caused by a type of HPV.  If you are talking about genital warts, then that would be an STD.  Or if you have an abnormal pap smear caused by HPV, then that is an STD also.  You can get HPV even using protection.  There is no cure and most people will clear the virus from their bodies on their own.  There is a very small risk a baby can contract it during birth if the mother has it, but highly unlikely.  There is more of a risk if the mother actually had warts at the time of delivery.   Even babies who do contract it, most will never develop complications and will clear the virus on their own.  My friend told me her doctor said you can get HPV from just sharing towels with someone.  I don't know if that's true or not.

oceanus407
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Quoting RheaF:

It depends on what type the person has. It can be spread by sharing a drink, by kissing, and many other ways.

I have HPV and I have never heard of passing it through sharing drinks and kissing.  My old gyn told me it is transferred from fluid to skin contact which is why condoms don't offer much protection. Pretty much the only way to NOT get it is if you and your SO have both NEVER been with anyone else...HPV is related to warts...kinda the way a cold sore is related to herpes

Ha! Made you look!

Junglejane280
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I talked to my doctor when my Pap came back.  The best way he could explain it is that a very high percentage of us carry the virus and it is inactive.  Most of the time it just causes warts on your fingers or places like that.  Genital warts is a more severe form, and then of course there is the high-risk type that can given you cervical cancer.  Yes, it is transmitted as an STD, but there are other ways.  I have included a link that answers a lot of questions hopefully for you.

www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm

When your mother asks, "Do you want a piece of advice?" it is a mere formality.  It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no, your are going to get it anyway."

Erma Bombeck

moms rock

CTRedSoxMom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:59 PM

You can get HPV even if you use a condom.

Danielle
ICAN supporter, Cesarean Mother, Natural Birth Advocate, Breastfeeding, Attachment Parenting, Baby wearing, Selectively Vaccinating, Pro Choice, Gay Marriage Supporting, Doula, Aspiring Midwife, Blogging, Loud Mouth, Bitch, Democrat, Stay At Home Mom, Reformed Mormon, Chiropractic Care for Children Supporting, VBAC Supporting, Home Birth Supporting, Radical Mother of Two amazing little boys.
Camden Kent and Benjamin Emil

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)