Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How are your bills paid???

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM
  • 37 Replies

Ok so DH and I are having a big issue.  For some reason he thinks its ok to take money out of the ATM anytime he wants to and I mean like $100-$300 at a time.  Which causes stress for me when I schedule these bills to be paid just to find out he took the money out of the bank that is suppose to cover them.  So I am sick of it and he is sick of thinking I am spending the money and not him, so we determined it was time for us to get separate accounts. 

Originally I was thinking I would just split the bills 50/50 and he would have to give me his half and I will pay them, but I also heard of people picking and choosing which bills each person pays to kind of equal each other.  Like one person pays mortgage and the other pays all utilities.  So how do you do it???

Do you each have your own account?  If so what do you do when it comes time for groceries or things for the kids who pays for what?? Like who paid for the Halloween costumes??

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CallieLynsMommy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM

We each have our own account. We split the rent and utilities in half each month, I give SO a check for my half. We split the grocery bill, like one time I pay for groceries, the next time he does. We sometimes take turns buying DD  things, although since he makes more he usually gives me money to buy her clothes, toys, etc. We both work so we are able to buy ourselves items we would like, such as clothes, movies, etc when we can afford it although we do occasionally buy each other these items too.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Mahatma Gandhi
cmb121906
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:23 PM

We don't have that issue thankfully. We do online bill pay except for the water bill. I think you should have a talk with him about it and see what he wants to do. Or tell him you cannot take money out before this time or whatever

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:23 PM

We have a joint account, and bills are paid as they are due. Both of our paychecks are direct deposited too. We NEVER withdraw money.

If we need some extras, we check the balance of our checking account and see if we can get something, or if we should wait until the next pay day. Grocery shopping being done, and bills being paid on time is always a first priority.

Kairi is 3!      

newagemom700
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:23 PM

SO and I have seperate accounts, but any m,oney we have is OUR money. My account is used for bills and grocieries and diapers, soap, shampoo, cat food, litter, ect. His account is our savings and "play money." although...not his whole check will go into his account. I take whatever is needed for bills and whatnot and put it into my account, and he puts the rest in his. He makes more money so he does cover the most expensive bills...like rent and car payments...my checks usually go to cable, grocieries, xcel, and the other things.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:24 PM

We had a join account...neither one of us took money or made purchases without consulting the other.

Now of course I have my own account...and I have relatively no bills and I just spend as I want....

Jynnifer292
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for him to just be responsible and find out when bills were due and if there is enough in the bank? Seperate accounts sounds way more complicated but if you decide to do it that way, I would add up all the monthly bills and make sure that much is deposited into the bills account and deposit the rest into another for withdrawing at whim.

isra1986

We put enough in the acount to pay the cell phone, electric, cable/internet bills.
The rest we keep out in cash and I tell him how much I need everyday or I just take it from his wallet.

Playschool Preschool Group- Chat tonight at 9 p.m. Eastern time!

callie06

We have one joint account.  My dh is the one who schedules which bills are paid each week.  I pay them and I'm usually the one that takes out our budget for the week and get groceries what ever is left is what we have for the week and we split it.

mom2four1978
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM

We have 2 joint checking accounts. One is just for bills. I figured up how much would have to go into that account each check with a little cushion in order to cover the bills. The other account is everything else. I take out the grocery, gas money, and the money I put aside for other things right away in cash and the rest is whats left.

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I'm a SAHM, so my DH's check gets auto-deposited. We have one account and I pay online for all bills out of that account.  My hubby doesn't usually withdraw any money.  He will ask me if we have enough to get something if he wants it.  Otherwise, I budget a certain amount for his gas and such that he gets every week. I keep an eye on the balance and alert him if it's getting too low and he needs to cut back on his spending.  I buy all groceries and household items unless it's something big.  Otherwise, we go out together and get it.  He will not let me pick out and purchase his clothing, though.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)