Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's pneumonia feel like?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:31 PM
  • 7 Replies

Ok. I've had the flu for  a little over a week. My fever went away but started coming back today. It's not bad, just 99.3. I'm wondering if I'm starting to get a secondary infection like pneumonia, sinus or ear. I feel like my family has gone to the doctor so much lately and I would like to fight it on my own but thinking that's not such a good idea if I am starting to get pneumonia. So, anyone had it and what did it feel like? The ER doctor said it would be obvious if the kids got it so I think it would be obvious to me if I was getting it.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
CallieLynsMommy
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:36 PM

When I had pneumonia I didn't know I had it until it got pretty bad. I had a hacking type cough, like I would have coughing fits. I felt as if I couldn't take a deep enough breath to get enough air and also my upper back hurt very badly. I also had a runny nose and a headache.

After I went to the doctor and got on antibiotics, I felt even worse for 2/3 days (they warned me I would), I had chills, nausea, and my breathing got even worse. But, it started to get better around the 4th day of antibiotics. I honestly don't even remember the first 2 or 3 days because I layed in my bed or on the couch most of the time freezing and trying to sleep.

Hopefully you don't have pneumonia and I hope you feel better soon!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Mahatma Gandhi
GoneNutty
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I can only say what it felt like to me when I had pneumonia. It is probably different for others. For me, I could not get a deep breath and when I tried, I had a coughing fit. Nothing would come up, but it would be just right there...low in my throat...gross, I know, but that's when I knew it was way deeper than your standard bronchitis. I was also exhausted (probably from not getting enough oxygen), I wheezed and would get winded from talking too much.

Hope you don't have it. It's exhausting and I could not sleep because laying down (elevated even) made me start coughing. Hope you get feeling better soon!

aidia
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I had bad back pain, (upper), a horrible cough with phlem that tasted horrible, a fever, severe body aches and a headache. Was also very tired.

If in doubt I'd go to the dr. 

madhouseof5
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:43 PM

When I had it I felt like I was under water and could not breath and when I did I ended up have a bad coughing fit Ugg nasty Almost made me sick

Very hot, cold runny nose and yes back pains

My son was sick it came up sorry TMI It was frothy and very sticky sick not good The doc said it had come up from his lungs

We both got it with in a couple of weeks of each other but different forms I had upper respiratory he had lower respiratory

We had both had flu to start with and it was over Christmas I was ill just before and he was ill just after and he the poor soul ended up in hospital for a couple on nights being drip feed drugs he was 15 at the time

Mover
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM

I  didn't know that dd had pneumonia either until I took her to the dr.  She didn't have a fever, but a cough.  It was worse in the morning, but she had a hard time breathing deep.  I thought it was just allergies.  With the stethascope, the breathing sounded like paper crackling.  Good luck!!

smalltowngal
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I think I'm just going to make an appointment for tomorrow. I think everyone who has gotten this flu has a bad cough. I feel a little faint but that's probably do to loosing 10 lbs. in a little over a week. The one thing that's been bothering me is I have a really bad case of heartburn. I don't know what that's from. I probably have a sinus infection though.

greenie63
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Low grade temp, but it would go up. Hard time breathing and nothing would come up (usually for a normal cold the mucus will come up yuck). Like the other ladies my upper back hurt bad and constant headache. The first time i had it i was so weak and tired. One day I got up for work, i was determined lol, and passed out in the shower. The second time I knew and went right to the doc. Go to the doc momma, get a chest xray.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)