Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm so behind on my bills. VENT (some language)

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:20 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am so stresed it's ridiculous. Our bills are piling up left and right. We have our rent for our shitty apartment, car insurance, a car payment,cellphone bill,  two student loan payments, our cable and internet (internet is for my school and cable has a contract so i have no idea what to do about that), and we have 6 individual loans out around town. We have way more going out than we have coming in and I'm losing my mind. Gas and groceries are so expensive and it's not getting any better. The best I can say is at least my oldest daughter is almost potty trained so we don't have to get her as many diapers. Right now we didn't have one of my husbands student loans for our autodraft so they took it out and charged a $22 overdraft fee, our cable is due by wednesday, and our car insurance is due to come out autodraft on monday too. My husband and I work as servers because it is the hours+the income that works for us right now and actually I am in the process of looking for another nightjob with steady hours and income. We are both full-time college students and trying our best to do everything we can but it seems like we get more behind every single month. I have been cutting down on groceries and everything I can think of and renewing our loans every opportunity I have. What can I do? Why the hell do I bust my ass and still I am behind? Anyone else sick of this damn economy!??!

I love my girls, Madison and Isabelle and my husband Sam more than anything in this world! :)

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gulfcoastmom4
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Wow, why do you have so many loans. That is crazy.

ANyway I would just cut out what you can...cell phones either get rid of them or downgrade. Not really much else you can do.

Brandy.B
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Because we are idiots. When we got behind on say rent or something we would go get a loan for about $400 and then have that bill next month. It is stupid really. What is interesting is last tax season we paid of all the loans and it was great for a few months! Now they all creeped back in...

Our cellphones have a 2 year contract and if terminated it is $100 a piece termination fee and I don't think there is any way we can downgrade them. We have no texting or pictures, only shared minutes

Quoting gulfcoastmom4:

ANyway I would just cut out what you can...cell phones either get rid of them or downgrade. Not really much else you can do.

I love my girls, Madison and Isabelle and my husband Sam more than anything in this world! :)

dmarie2101
by Diamond Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:27 PM

sorry its going shitty for you :o( i hope it gets better soon.

one thing you can do to help is to stop all the autodraft payments. i never do autodraft. i never know whats going to happen where i might need whats in the account, so i dont chance it. then, instead of paying the full bill, you can pay part of it, like if your elec bill is 200, pay 100, or 75. something to let them know youre trying, you know? my husband was laid off for a few months and his unemployment (after cs) was 400 every other week, so 800 a month. our house alone is 750...luckily the guy we're buying it from let us slide til he started working again. i had a system...every check, i paid parts of certain bills, the next check, parts of the other bills. we did get somewhat behind, but its better than having overdraft fees, and you can catch up easier that way, bc youre not getting months behind on certain bills bc youre paying the full amount on others. call and get extensions. downgrade. our phone/internet was 114, since we never use the house phone and only have it for the house alarm and internet, i took everything off---3 way calling, call waiting, etc---and it dropped the bill to 32.85 a mth. you may have a contract with a company, but you can always modify what services you have with them.

good luck. :o) 

gulfcoastmom4
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:28 PM

If they were all apid off how did they "creep back in"? Or did you get more loans.

Could you possibly consolidate all your loans into 1?

Quoting Brandy.B:

Because we are idiots. When we got behind on say rent or something we would go get a loan for about $400 and then have that bill next month. It is stupid really. What is interesting is last tax season we paid of all the loans and it was great for a few months! Now they all creeped back in...

Our cellphones have a 2 year contract and if terminated it is $100 a piece termination fee and I don't think there is any way we can downgrade them. We have no texting or pictures, only shared minutes

Quoting gulfcoastmom4:

dmarie2101
by Diamond Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:30 PM

you can see if you can lower the numbr of minutes you have...like if you share 500, go to the 250 plan. if you dont go out of the service area, take off any roaming plans, like paying extra so you wont roam in a place you never go, kwim? tell them you want the most basic of the basic.

Quoting Brandy.B:

Quoting gulfcoastmom4:

Brandy.B
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:32 PM

We got more loans. One bill would get behind and we would need a loan, more and more and more.. and no, there is no way to consolidate these loans. They are individual loans around town.

Quoting gulfcoastmom4:

If they were all apid off how did they "creep back in"? Or did you get more loans.

Could you possibly consolidate all your loans into 1?

Quoting Brandy.B:

Quoting gulfcoastmom4:

kenziedawnmom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I so feel you ,mydh works was doing good he made good and we were fine then  it hit us we went from full work weeks to 3 day full if we are lucky 4 tops and i am telling you in the kind of work my dh does he drives a dump truck, if it rains no work (damn all this rain i hate you lol ) and they just dont have as much to do now that the economy is all in a mess so i have my nice little pile of unpaid credit card bills (which i am going to try to just settle out witht he company alot will lets you settle if you talk to them)and every other bill is now due or will be do ,so I have had 2 interviews in less than a month ,and no call back plus we live in a little town no jobs out here but we make do we have to do what we have to do we dont get any PA or anything  we do the best we can with what we have i try to shop smart and i we dont eat out as much or spend carelessly anymore .I have somehow found i have went from stressing it so much i was grumpy to a calm  it will work out state some how lol  i guess you just have to be thankful i look at it like this there are very many people out there who have lost alot more then me or dont have as much as i do i think god every day for what i have got . Keep your head high and just keep going!

Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM

see if you can consolidate the loans that you do have now. see if there is a way that you can lower any other bills- like can you go to the library and do school work there (unless your schooling is online). see if there's a way that you can cut cable- like even change providers to just get the internet. limit the lights/utilities as much as you can. only have them on from whenever it gets dark, and keep it limited. like dont have lights on upstairs if no one is up there. dont take hour long showers, cut it down to 20-30 minutes. see if there is any food pantries that can help you, or any churches for food. do you get any state help- food stamps? they might be able to help with the work thing. cant remember waht its called, but you work for the government and you get paid through them as well. its not good money, but it IS money and you get free childcare while you are "working".

if you cant really consolidate the loans, try working them off one at a time. see if any of the loans can be paused or whatever, since you are still in school. Most wont start the payments til 6 months after graduation.

GL.

Brandy.B
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. Unfortunately, most of it doesn't apply. As far as consolidating loans, it won't happen. They are all individual loans around town and they said they don't do business with one another. The student loans are ridiculous- they are my husbands from when he went to a different school, he is a pilot and i guess one of the loan places bought out them or someting so we are forced to pay OSLA and Salliemae. I do have online classes. We don't have any utilities (thank GOD), and yes I will check into food help..that would help some, we don't qualify for foodstamps or childcare.

Quoting Shy_Dia:

see if you can consolidate the loans that you do have now. see if there is a way that you can lower any other bills- like can you go to the library and do school work there (unless your schooling is online). see if there's a way that you can cut cable- like even change providers to just get the internet. limit the lights/utilities as much as you can. only have them on from whenever it gets dark, and keep it limited. like dont have lights on upstairs if no one is up there. dont take hour long showers, cut it down to 20-30 minutes. see if there is any food pantries that can help you, or any churches for food. do you get any state help- food stamps? they might be able to help with the work thing. cant remember waht its called, but you work for the government and you get paid through them as well. its not good money, but it IS money and you get free childcare while you are "working".

if you cant really consolidate the loans, try working them off one at a time. see if any of the loans can be paused or whatever, since you are still in school. Most wont start the payments til 6 months after graduation.

GL.

MrsTWalsh
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Are you guys at least receiving financial aid now for school?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)