Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you with less fortunate Parents.

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

This is going to sound weird and maybe even a little cold but just know before hand I LOVE MY PARENTS!!

Im just wondering if anyone else is worried how they are going to pay for funeral services and other bills their parents left behind? For some reason Ive thought about this occasionally but the last little while its really starting to worry me. Of course I dont want to ask my parents if they have any coverage because Im almost positive they dont, and thats just a awful subject to talk about! Does anyone else think about this?

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mcsmom1
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I don't think about it but I know that I will be paying for their funerals.  I have the most money of their 5 children.  It doesn't bother me to think about but I suppose it would if I had to struggle to pay for them.

rebeccasmommy09
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I haven't really thought about it for my parents, but my DH has for his mom and his grandmother (primarily his grandmother though). His grandmother gets money from the railroad association from her late ex-husband's pension (he died a couple years ago) and he puts that away in a savings account every month to cover funeral expenses and to help his mom with her bills for a while once his grandma passes. It's difficult to think about but unfortunately it's a fact of life.  

CafeMom Tickers

Mrs.Grasshopper
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:34 PM

I only have one brother and I know hes not going to pay for them. I wish I could say I had the money and it wouldnt be a big deal.But unfortunately we are struggling ourselves... 

Quoting mcsmom1:

I don't think about it but I know that I will be paying for their funerals.  I have the most money of their 5 children.  It doesn't bother me to think about but I suppose it would if I had to struggle to pay for them.

sparkina13
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I have already had to bury both of my parents... My mom died when I was 6 and my dad died when I was 19. He had life insurance though so it covered the funeral and the estate lawyer.

My dad knew he didn't have much time left so he always brought it up and made sure my brother and I were ready.

stefvan
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:35 PM

No, I don't think about it.  My dad is very wise and has everything set up.   I just wish they'd write the obits out b/c I worry I'll miss something!

MsPsychotic
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM

My Parents and I don't talk anymore. We haven't for years. Thankfully, a long time ago, they started life insurance and retirement policies to prepare for when they're old and dead. I'm hoping that by the time they die, I'm off of their life insurance policies so that I don't have to deal with any of it.

My husbands parents: His Mother works for the Federal Government at the Social Security office. So I hope she's smart enough to plan for her time. His Father, however, has been in a financial bind since I met my husband nearly 10yrs ago. I'm pretty sure we'll be responsible for him when it's his time. My husband is the oldest, after all.

I never, ever, wanted to leave my children with a financial burden when it's my time. My husband and I both have life insurance policies that will more than cover our cremation costs and our debt (the only debt we have is 1 car, which will be paid in a year). There will also be plenty left over to financially stabalize our children for some time.

haydensmama08
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:37 PM

i think my parents have life insurance but i know it wont cover everything. as it stands right now it would be soley my responsiblity because my sister is 18 and my baby bro is 13. i just try not to think about it. I know that my husband and i will figure it out when that time comes.

3greatkids751
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I have no clue what we would do if (god forbid) one or both of my parents died in the near future.. HOPEFULLY my brother and sister would help me out because we are not rich by any means... It's honestly something I NEED to think about but I don't because I don't because I don't want to think about something happening to them...

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08.. Expecting #4 in 2010!!pregnancy

Got Mamas Milk BlinkieI Love My LCPL BlinkieProud Mom Of Girls Blinkie

greenie63
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I love my parents as well. Unfortunatley I've already had to bury my mom. My parents however pre planned their funeral arrangements. The total cost for both of them was 12,000. My older sister was made executor so when my mom passed she called the funeral home and it went very smoothly (well the process, not the pain of losing my mom). Sadly my dad is not doing well he's 85 and has alzheimer's, so it will happen again. Reality sets in and it makes you realize your own mortality. I am also going to pre plan my funeral so my children won't have that burden when I pass.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)