Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how are we suppose to do this

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM
  • 18 Replies

so my daughter comes home with this cardboard thing you are suppose to fold up to look like a bucket. Its says trick or treat for unicef..

so what are we suppose to do..when we get candy ask the people for some money..or do we do this instead of getting candy. I'm confused.

Anyone else have a kid come home with something similar today?

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stefvan
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I refuse to beg for money!  I'd put some change in it and send it right back to school. 

edwardsgirl
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Quoting stefvan:

I refuse to beg for money!  I'd put some change in it and send it right back to school. 

we can't send it back to school. We are suppose to take the change to a coinstar and then mail in the receipt to unicef.

zjonzie
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM

she brought it from school?  seems like the school should have sent a letter home before they gave it out to let parents decide if they wanted to participate.  its a great idea, but it seems like it wont be very successful and really could be dangerous carrying around money.  id send it back to school or go collecting during the day before trick or treating starts.

mandalouwhotn
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I wouldn't do it, but I applaud you for trying to figure it out!

Quoting edwardsgirl:

Quoting stefvan:

we can't send it back to school. We are suppose to take the change to a coinstar and then mail in the receipt to unicef.

beans13
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM

When I was a kid we always took the Unicef box along with us trick or treating.

Many people had change ready as well as candy for this purpose.  My dad used to have a big bowl of coins saved up for Halloween to put in kids Unicef boxes.  I am 35, this is not a new thing, it has been around for years.

edwardsgirl
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Quoting zjonzie:

she brought it from school?  seems like the school should have sent a letter home before they gave it out to let parents decide if they wanted to participate.  its a great idea, but it seems like it wont be very successful and really could be dangerous carrying around money.  id send it back to school or go collecting during the day before trick or treating starts.

yes every kid came home with the cardboard thing that i then made into a box.

She seemed really excited about it. The only thing we got instruction wise was how to turn in the money.

lesliesam
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM

My kids have in the past and we just used them for candy. A lot of people read it and made donations on there own. The kids did ask friends and family to donate.

coleysmama
by Lisa on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Wow, I remember that from when I was little! I'm 38 now!  My mom just used to collect change from around the house and send it in.

edwardsgirl
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Quoting beans13:

When I was a kid we always took the Unicef box along with us trick or treating.

Many people had change ready as well as candy for this purpose.  My dad used to have a big bowl of coins saved up for Halloween to put in kids Unicef boxes.  I am 35, this is not a new thing, it has been around for years.

This is the first year she has come home from school with such box and i have never heard of doing this for trick or treating.

De_Chick
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I just put a twenty dollar bill in when my kids were little. I didn't want to ask for money while trick or treating either so I'd just donate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)