Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents of school age children

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

What do you think about this idea?  Is it already done where you live?  Sounds like a good idea, keeps kids from getting too far behind if the schools closed, or if they miss school due to illness:

http://www.wfsb.com/education/21465089/detail.html.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Ziggy-Stardust
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Seems good to me. Its better than not offering anything at all if school must shut down. 

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

NananRaysmom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Thats a good idea.  I think its better for the kids that are home sick.  I really dont think a district should shut down...that would really suck!

The "community organizer" cant bitch when the community starts to organize.  Even when we start to organize against him!

mirandas_mom
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:28 PM

My DD was out for a week with H1N1. I picked up her books and lessons from school and homeschooled her that week.  

3corncrew
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Unless they are also going to supply each child with a computer and scanner/printer.... I do not see this every becoming mandatory.  I believe that every single teacher of any grade should have a synopsis of some kind posted online, but to tell kids they must work from home while ill, is a bad idea, IMO.

Ziggy-Stardust
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:31 PM

thats a good point..

Quoting 3corncrew:

Unless they are also going to supply each child with a computer and scanner/printer.... I do not see this every becoming mandatory.  I believe that every single teacher of any grade should have a synopsis of some kind posted online, but to tell kids they must work from home while ill, is a bad idea, IMO.

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

bobthepepperma
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:34 PM

That's a good idea!  Hopefully they'll make sure that all assignments are not based on school books that they don't bring home.  Wouldn't want them to have to read section 4 of chapter 10 of the science book and a bunch of the kids don't have their science book because they were able to finish the homework for science at school on the last day they had actual school.

bobthepepperma
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Quoting 3corncrew:

Interesting point.  I think it is a good idea if a school would have shut down for an extended period (which if enough kids get sick a school will shut down) but they would probably have some sort of back up plan for kids that don't have computers.

Laura1229
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I have to agree that it wouldn't work out too smoothly. 

First, the school would have to be ready to provide not only the computers & scanners, but also high-speed internet access.  I, for instance, can only get high-speed through a satellite --- which I can't afford.  The vast majority of websites are NOT at all dial-up friendly.  I can check email & groups/sites such as these... but any website with any amount of graphics, animations, downloadable content, etc are completely worthless with my connection.

On top of that, if a child is out with something a serious as the flu they are going to be too miserable to even sit up at a computer.  When a person is sick, they're to go to bed & rest.  Period.  Studying for a test or researching a science project doesn't fall into my "rest" category.

mama2conor
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Quoting 3corncrew:

There are still people that don't have computers?  What is this world coming to! ;) 

Just kidding, but I do see your point.  Perhaps tho, the assignments would be something they could do online and wouldn't have to print out and scan (they do it w/ online college courses, even math assignments).  As for being, ill, I would say it depends on the situation.  Of course if they are too ill, it shouldn't be a requirement.  But like this article I read a long time ago about this girl who had to be homeschooled for several months (she either was recovering from a serious illness or an accident--I can't remember) and she was keeping in contact w/ her class and assignments via computer and webcam, and she welcomed the opportunity to be able to catch up w/ her classes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)